Can Antenna reduce the radio signal strength when it receive

In summary, the strength of a radio signal received by an antenna depends on the dispersion loss and dielectric absorption. However, for most practical systems, this effect is minimal. If the antenna is close enough to the transmitter for near field effects to come into play, it can affect the characteristics of the transmitting antenna. Having multiple antennas in a line may result in the rear antenna receiving less signal due to being in the shadow of the front antenna, but this is not measurable in most cases. One exception is Medium Frequency ground waves, which have a forward tilt and can be used by long wire antennas supported on short poles.
physicsEnthu_123
  • When antenna receive the radio signal does it reduce the actual radio signal strength or strength indeed depends on the dispersion loss and other dielectric absorption?
  • If antenna doesn’t reduce the radio signal strength(power), how it generates the current in the receiving antenna circuit? How antenna in this case is not affected by law of conservation - radio signal doesn’t loose its power even generating current in the antenna.
  • If antenna affects the signal strength of the radio signal, does more antenna means more power to transmit for transmitter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
physicsEnthu_123 said:
  • When antenna receive the radio signal does it reduce the actual radio signal strength or strength indeed depends on the dispersion loss and other dielectric absorption?
Yes, when an antenna receives a radio signal it is taking energy away from the radiowave. For most practical systems this is a tiny amount of energy, though. When I tune my FM radio to a signal, it has no significant effect on the signal strength available to my next door neighbor.

physicsEnthu_123 said:
  • If antenna affects the signal strength of the radio signal, does more antenna means more power to transmit for transmitter?
I'm not sure what you are talking about here - I thought you were discussing a receive antenna. What transmitter are you referring to?

Jason

physicsEnthu_123 said:
does more antenna means more power to transmit for transmitter?

The energy has already been emitted so it is irrelevant to the transmitter if you collect that energy or it just continues on by. This will not be true if you are close enough for near field effects to come into play. Then you are affecting the characteristics of the transmitting antenna.

BoB

So if I have satellite transmitter and my transmitting power should cover only area depending upon the dispersion loss by inverse R^2. If i have increase number of antenna does my transmitting power needs to be increased since there are losses? In other scenario if I have a close room and I have a transmitter with a fixed power. If my number of antenna increase does the reception power decreases?

physicsEnthu_123 said:
If my number of antenna increase does the reception power decreases?

not in a measurable way ( well I would be surprised is it could be) ... there is still much more energy bypassing all those antennas (not being captured ) than what is captured.
Now if you have antennas in a line, that is different as the rear antenna will be in the shadow of the front antenna ( the one closer to the transmitter) and it will of course receive less signal

read again JasonRF's post and his first comment ... That is your answer

davenn said:
Now if you have antennas in a line, that is different as the rear antenna will be in the shadow of the front antenna ( the one closer to the transmitter) and it will of course receive less signal
That general principle certainly applies in most cases. There is an interesting exception to this principle, though. Medium Frequency (vertically polarised of course) ground waves will propagate along the ground and follow the curve of the Earth. The energy does not tend to carry out along a tangent but the wave front has a forward tilt, due to resistive losses in the Earth. Energy gets directed downwards, out of the region just above the surface. Cities, with lots of steel structures (and receiving antennae) have a definite shadow, downstream from a transmitter but the signal strength rises back up, after a few km to what you'd expect, if the city were not there.
This forward tilt of a VP wave can be used by long wire antennae, supported on a series of short poles, radially in the direction of travel of the wave. Google Beverage Antenna; an excellent, cheap and cheerful directional MF antenna (OK if you happen to have a few hundred metres of land available).

Likes davenn

1. Can an antenna reduce radio signal strength when it receives a signal?

Yes, an antenna can reduce radio signal strength when it receives a signal. This is known as antenna gain or directivity. Antennas with higher gain can focus the received signal in a specific direction, while lower gain antennas may not be able to capture as strong of a signal.

2. How does antenna gain affect radio signal strength?

Antenna gain affects radio signal strength by amplifying the received signal in a specific direction. This can be beneficial in situations where the desired signal is weak or has interference from other signals. However, it can also cause a decrease in signal strength in other directions.

3. Can using a larger antenna increase signal strength?

Yes, using a larger antenna can increase signal strength. This is because larger antennas have a larger surface area to capture and focus the signal, resulting in higher gain. However, the placement and orientation of the antenna also play a role in signal strength.

4. What factors can affect antenna performance and signal strength?

There are several factors that can affect antenna performance and signal strength, including the type and design of the antenna, its location and orientation, the frequency of the signal, and any obstacles or interference in the surrounding environment.

5. Is it possible for an antenna to completely block a radio signal?

No, it is not possible for an antenna to completely block a radio signal. Antennas are designed to receive and transmit signals, not block them. However, certain materials or structures can interfere with or absorb radio signals, resulting in a decrease in signal strength.