How Do You Calculate River Concentration After a Discharge?

• Thread starter yellowdoraemon
  • Start date
In summary, a river with a discharge of 10 MGD and a concentration of 150 mg/l receives a flow of 20 MGD at zero concentration upstream. After 15 miles downstream, the velocity is 10 mpd, followed by a slow moving region for the next 20 miles where the velocity drops to 2 mpd. With a decay rate of 0.2/day, the concentration at a point 35 miles downstream from the outfall is being asked. However, it is against policy to provide solutions unless the person asking for help has shown effort in solving the problem themselves.
yellowdoraemon
I have a question about hydraulic environment...i hope that u can solve the problem for me if possible. thank you very much.

belowing is the question:
A river receives a discharge of 10 MGD at a concentrattion of 150 mg/l. The river flow upstream is 20 MGD at zero concentration. For 15 mi downstream, the velocity is 10 mpd. A region of slow moving water is then encountered for next 20 mi where the velocity drops to 2 mpd. If the decay rate of the substance is 0.2/day, what is the concentration at the point 35 mi downstream from the outfall?

Physics news on Phys.org
yellow,

Please show what effort you have made towards solving this problem.

anybody can do the calculation for me?

It is against the policy here to provide solutions to homework problems unless the OP has shown original effort. So if you tell us what you've tried, we can help you along.

1. How can I find someone to help me solve my problem?

There are a few ways to find someone who may be able to help you with your problem. You can reach out to friends or family members who have knowledge or experience in the area, seek out online forums or communities related to your problem, or consult with a professional in the field.

2. What information should I provide when asking for help with a problem?

It is important to provide as much detail as possible when asking for help with a problem. This includes a clear description of the problem, any steps you have already taken to try and solve it, and any relevant background information. This will help the person assisting you to understand the problem and provide an accurate solution.

3. Is it appropriate to ask for help with a problem I am facing?

Yes, it is completely appropriate to ask for help with a problem you are facing. Asking for help shows that you are willing to learn and open to collaboration, which are important qualities for a scientist. It is also important to remember that no one knows everything and seeking help is a normal part of the scientific process.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and exposure to different types of problems. It is helpful to break down a problem into smaller, manageable parts and use logical and analytical thinking to find a solution. Seeking out challenges and learning from mistakes can also help improve problem-solving skills.

5. What can I do if I am unable to solve a problem on my own?

If you are unable to solve a problem on your own, don't be afraid to seek help from others. This could be a colleague, mentor, or even a professional in the field. Collaborating with others can often lead to new insights and solutions that you may not have thought of on your own.