1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone explain nuclear recoil. . .

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    . . .to a non-physicist?

I've been reading about CDMS II and trying to grasp how the dectectors work. As I understand it, WIMPS don't believe in the electromagnetic force (or the strong force, or the weak force, right?) so when a WIMP collides with a nucleus in the detector we get collision effects without electomagnetic events. So, how does a collision work in the absence of the strong and EM forces? How does momentum get transferred from the WIMP to the nucleus?

Thanks for any enlightenment (although given the subject, I supposed "enlightenment" isn't quite right. . .)

(I tried to do a search for "nuclear recoil", but the search engine apparently combined the two words with a Bollean OR. Putting the phrase in quotes didn't help. Is there no way to search for a phrase?)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted