1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me solve this Integration of three terms?

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the template and with no effort
    I have been trying to solve an integration that i have

upload_2015-3-3_0-54-32.png
    I am not even sure if it's possible. Here, A, m, alpha, a these are constants. I have tried few methods, but couldn't find any way out. I would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please show us first some of the methods you HAVE tried, whether or not they failed. (Those are PF requirements.)

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    Thank you so much for replying.
    Like is said, i tried with multiple integration method but individual terms were also complicated, like

upload_2015-3-3_1-45-55.png

then i don't know where to go.

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I were doing it I would simplify it first, by re-defining some of the variables and introducing some new constants. If we start with
    [tex] f(t) = t^2 e^{-t^2/a} \frac{(A+mt)^{1/m}}{1+\alpha (A + mt)^{1/m}}, [/tex]
    and assume that ##a > 0##, we can let ##t/\sqrt{a} = v##, ##C = a^{3/2} A^{1/m}##, ##k = m \sqrt{a}/A##, ##b = \alpha A^{1/m}## and, finally, ##p = 1/m##. We then have the cleaner-looking result that
    [tex] \int_0^{\infty} f(t) \, dt = C \int_0^{\infty} v^2 e^{-v^2} \frac{(1+k v)^p}{1 + b(1+k v)^p} \, dv [/tex]
    If we further let ##1 + kv = y## (assuming ##k > 0##) we can get
    [tex] \text{integral} = \frac{C e^{1/k}}{k^3} \int_1^{\infty} \frac{(y-1)^2 y^p}{1+b y^p} e^{-y/k} \, dy [/tex]
    I doubt that there is a closed-form formula for this, but one can tackle it numerically if you are given the parameter values.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Mar 2, 2015 #5

Dear Ray

Thank you so much.

I already see some lights.

Now as you said, if the parameter values were given, then it could be solved. Now, you were right in assuming a>0, because a = 0.1, m = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 upto 20. So, yes k>0. But I want to understand how did you come up with all the right assumptions?? By the way, so now i have the integration, how do we do the integration ? Still i have multiple terms in the integration.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looking at the original integral, we need a > 0 in order to have a convergent integral. Why is that? Well, the integrand is not defined at all if a = 0, and the integral diverges exponentially if a < 0. Next, we need A > 0 in order that (A + mt) be ≥ 0 for all t > 0. This is needed because if (A + mt) < 0 in a range of t-values, then (A + mt)^(1/m) will involve roots of negative numbers, so will involve complex numbers, etc. Finally, we need α ≥ 0 in order to not have the denominator go through 0 at t increases up from 0. If the denominator did go through 0, we would need to worry about the possible divergence of the integral, and whether to interpret as a principle-value integral, or whatever. All these issues are avoided if we just assume all your original parameters a, A,m,α are > 0.

As to how to integrate: NUMERICALLY! Or, perhaps you can expand things in convergent infinite series and then integrate term-by-term.

8. Mar 3, 2015 #7
    Dear Sir

Thank you so much for you reply and thorough analysis.

Sir, in the 4th line, should it be exp(-v^2) ?
    And sir, i tried with MATLAB, it's showing values. I don't know how they got the value.

and what did you mean by "expand things in convergent infinite series", how do i expand that term, especially that y^p/(1+b*y^p) format?

Thanks in advance.

9. Mar 3, 2015 #8

Ray

I mean, as i said earlier m>1, so that means p is fractional. How do i expand that fractional power thing?

10. Mar 3, 2015 #9
    How can y be a function of t if the integral is over t?

Chet

11. Mar 3, 2015 #10
    Does the answer have to be closed form, or can it be expressed as an infinite series?

Chet

12. Mar 3, 2015 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the 4th line should have exp(-v^2), not exp(-v). I have edited out this typo.

Exactly what input did you use with MATLAB, and what type of answer did MATLAB deliver?

13. Mar 3, 2015 #12
    Dear Chet

The answer should be just a value, for the given parameters, so it should be in closed form, but now i doubt if it's possible. So, finite or infinite solution, please do enlighten me.

14. Mar 3, 2015 #13
    Ray

I simply wrote the function, integrated using built-in integration function.

bt=0.02;
    s=1;
    g=3;
    a=0.1;
    k=g*s/bt;
    p=1/g;
    b=a*bt^p;
    C=2*s*bt^p;

fun=@(y) (C/k^3)*((y-1).^2.*exp(-(y-1)./k).^2.*y.^p)./(1+b.*y.^p);
    m=integral(fun,0,Inf);

the m is now 0.6839.

15. Mar 3, 2015 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, did MATLAB give you a numerical answer, or did it give you a "formula"?

16. Mar 3, 2015 #15

MATLAB gave me a numerical answer i need to know the how and the formula.

17. Mar 3, 2015 #16

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect that there is NO possible formula. I did say---more than once---that I guessed you would need to do numerical integration when looking at a numerical example (that is, with numerical values of the inputs). MATLAB probably tried some "analytical" methods, found it could not be done, and then applied one of its built-in numerical integration routines.

18. Mar 3, 2015 #17

Ray

Surely your reply helped me a lot, now i understand the problem at least. Thank you so much for your time.
    Using MATLAB, i would probably get the numerical value but i wont be able to explain how i got that.
    That's why i needed the explanation. I will share if i can find anything.

Thank you all.

19. Mar 3, 2015 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please give the original parameters in your first post. Here you have bt, s and g, none of which were present in the original post. Just tell us the values of m, a, A, and α, as they appeared in post #1. I want to check your numerical value, but to do that I need to know exactly what you computed.

Anyway, it looks like you have entered (in part) exp(-(y-1)/k)^2 , which is = exp(-2(y-1)/k), instead of the correct form exp(-[ (y-1)/k ls]^2) = exp(-(y-1)^2/k^2), which is very different.

20. Mar 3, 2015 #19

Dear Ray

upload_2015-3-3_23-31-27.png
    Another constant can be multiplied sometimes which is (2/a^4), this is optional.

There is a little change from the 1st post, it's a^2 instead of a. It's a constant, so doesn't make any difference.
    Other values are like alpha = 0.1, a=1, m=3 (usually >1), A = 0.02.

You are right about the exponential term, my mistake.

21. Mar 3, 2015 #20
    Shouldn't those x's be t's?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted