Can anyone recommend a good linear algebra/ODE book?

• Linear Algebra
  • Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Linear
In summary: Thanks for the suggestions!In summary, I would like a book that explains the theory of function spaces, linear transformations, to explain the ways one can interpret ODEs as linear transformations on function spaces. I need to read up on these for a project in my Intro to Differential Equations class. Any suggestions will be welcome.
Eclair_de_XII
In particular, I would like a book that explains the theory of function spaces, linear transformations, to explain the ways one can interpret ODEs as linear transformations on function spaces. I need to read up on these for a project in my Intro to Differential Equations class. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to take a look at:

https://math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/Linearalgebra.pdf

If you don't have some prior background in Linear Algebra it will probably be a bit much. I like that the text is free and covers a LOT of different stuff (including householder reflections and numerical / algorithmic concerns). Plus its free.

Note that on page 185 there is an exorcise that begins with "This and the following problems will present most of a differential equations course. Most of the explanations are given. You fill in any details needed..."

Also there is Appendix D (page 403) entitled "Differential Equations".

Likes Eclair_de_XII
Thank you. The fact that it's free and in pdf form saves me much trouble, because I have all my textbooks ready on my e-reader, anyway.

I find Gilbert Strang's book to be invaluable. Still consult it from time to time, and the applications section is quite nice.

https://www.valorebooks.com/textbooks/introduction-to-linear-algebra-fourth-edition-4th-edition/9780980232714?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Froogle&date=02/18/17

Hoffman/Kunze and Axler covers the basics of functional analysis and transformation in-depth. You might want to consult H/K.

I learned linear algebra many years ago and have not been keeping up with the current books. Last week I took out Strang's book with Kai Borre, that covers linear algebra, geodesy and GPS. I found it great

Also by the way, you might be interested in George Simmon's book in the differential equations, which was published around 1980s or 1990s. The book has superb exposition of both ODE and PDE, both in theories and applications.

I do not remember the edition of Simmons DE that I used. I liked it but I took it from the Simmons textbook in 1976. I really liked Simmons including the Historical Notes.

mpresic said:
I do not remember the edition of Simmons DE that I used. I liked it but I took it from the Simmons textbook in 1976. I really liked Simmons including the Historical Notes.

I believe that is a correct edition. It seems that newer edition came out on the last year with more topics. He is extremely good writer (Calculus, Topology and Modern Analysis, and Precal.).

These are all good suggestions. So are there any books that go into detail about how differential equations can be interpreted as a linear transformation of a function space? I'm not finding anything specific about it in most of the books listed.

I mean I have an idea of what function spaces are, but I need some elaboration and clarification. Basically, what I'm thinking is that for example, ##B=##{##x^2,xe^x,x^2e^x##} forms a basis for a function space that consist of linear combinations of those three elements. Then using the differential operator ##D##, I can perform a change of basis to ##B'=##{##2x,e^x+xe^x,2xe^x+x^2e^x##} and I guess that will be my linear transformation? So I use that operator again to form ##B''=##{##2,2e^x+xe^x,2e^x+4xe^x+x^2e^x##}. In conjunction, putting these three vectors in a 3-by-3 matrix will form my function space, I think? I suppose I should review my linear algebra.

Last edited:

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and computer graphics.

2. What is an ODE and why is it important?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is important because it is used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects in space.

3. What makes a good linear algebra/ODE book?

A good linear algebra/ODE book should have clear explanations, plenty of examples and exercises, and a good balance between theory and applications. It should also have a logical progression of topics and be accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

4. Can you recommend a good linear algebra/ODE book for beginners?

Some popular books for beginners include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay and "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" by C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney. These books are written in a clear and approachable style and include many helpful examples and exercises.

5. Are there any online resources for learning linear algebra and ODEs?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as video lectures on YouTube, interactive tutorials on websites like Khan Academy and Coursera, and free ebooks on platforms like OpenStax and Project Gutenberg. It's important to do some research and find a resource that best fits your learning style and needs.