Can chemical reactions take place at absolute zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a minimal temperature required for chemical reactions to reach their activation threshold. It is established that absolute zero cannot be reached and that exothermic reactions cannot occur until the reaction is complete. It is also mentioned that atoms behave differently at absolute zero. The concept of traveling at the speed of light is brought up, but it is concluded that it is not relevant to the discussion. The question of whether there are chemical reactions that can take place at very low temperatures is also raised.
conradcook
Title says it all. I've been wondering.

The argument is, is there a minimal temperature required for any chemical reaction to reach its activation threshold?

Or would the energylessness of the atoms prevent bonds from forming (or dissolving, I guess)?

Conrad.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't reach absolute zero, so this question is moot.

Furthermore, if this reaction is exothermic, you won't be able to even approach absolute zero until the reaction is complete.

And to top it all off, atoms aren't atoms at absolute zero. They smear out into what's called a Bose-Einsteinian Condensate.

Well... I can't travel at the speed of light, but if I could, time wouldn't pass.

Dave,

I just looked that up on Wikipedia. That answers my question! -- Many thanks.

Conrad.

Let's at least clarify the idea.

Are there chemical reactions that can take place at any arbitrarily low temperature?

I'm thinking that a sodium and chlorine atom drifting toward each other very slowly will still combine ionically regardless of temperature.

conradcook said:
Well... I can't travel at the speed of light, but if I could, time wouldn't pass.

We can't get to the speed of light either, so one cannot claim that this is true. Whether or not you could is irrelevant. We can't do it and our equations for transforming between frames does not work if you try to use c as the velocity in the equation.

1. Can any chemical reaction occur at absolute zero?

No, at absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius), all molecular motion ceases and no chemical reactions can take place.

2. What happens to chemical reactions at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, molecules have no kinetic energy and are unable to move or interact with each other. As a result, no chemical reactions can occur.

3. Is it possible for a chemical reaction to occur at temperatures close to absolute zero?

While it is highly unlikely, there have been some rare cases where chemical reactions have been observed at extremely low temperatures close to absolute zero. However, these reactions are very slow and may require special conditions.

4. Can chemical reactions occur at temperatures below absolute zero?

No, temperatures below absolute zero do not exist in our physical world. Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, and it is not possible for temperatures to go below this point.

5. How do scientists study chemical reactions at very low temperatures near absolute zero?

Scientists use specialized equipment such as cryogenic chambers and lasers to cool and control the temperature of reactants to temperatures near absolute zero. They also use advanced techniques like ultra-fast spectroscopy to study reactions at these low temperatures.