Can effective piezoelectric transformer be implemented for this application?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a piezoelectric transformer to step up voltages from 3 to 12 volts to 5 kilovolts, with specific details about the input and output requirements. The conversation also touched upon companies in the US that supply piezoelectric transformers and tips for using and implementing them.
Marco Polo
Is it possible to use a piezoelectric transformer to step up voltages of 3 to 12 volts to as much as 5 kilovolts? Below are more details of what I would like to do:

Input into transformer: square waves, 0 to 12-volt amplitude with frequency range of 100 Hz to 100 KHz
Output from transformer: square waves with 0 to 5 kilovolt amplitude, 100 Hz to 100 KHz

Also, what companies in the US supply piezoelectric transformers or components for making them? Any tips or advice for using or implementing the transformer in order to avoid pitfalls? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Marco Polo said:
Is it possible to use a piezoelectric transformer to step up voltages of 3 to 12 volts to as much as 5 kilovolts? Below are more details of what I would like to do:

Input into transformer: square waves, 0 to 12-volt amplitude with frequency range of 100 Hz to 100 KHz
Output from transformer: square waves with 0 to 5 kilovolt amplitude, 100 Hz to 100 KHz

Also, what companies in the US supply piezoelectric transformers or components for making them? Any tips or advice for using or implementing the transformer in order to avoid pitfalls? Thanks!

Interesting. I hadn't heard of piezoelectric transformers before...

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/li...iteratureNumber=slyt125&fileType=pdf&track=no

Berkeman, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the document more closely. I welcome any other ideas from anyone.

A new idea to me too.
It would be great for applications in which you don't want EMI, it would seem to me, as it is generally easier to screen against E fields than B fields.

I've used this before when designing backlight circuits.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/Application%20Note/an81f.pdf

Not surprisingly, digikey has some available...
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/piezo-transformer-3606

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks es1!

1. Can you explain what a piezoelectric transformer is and how it works?

A piezoelectric transformer is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical vibrations and then back into electrical energy at a different voltage. It consists of a piezoelectric material, typically a crystal, sandwiched between two electrodes. When an alternating current is applied to the electrodes, the piezoelectric material vibrates and creates an electric field, which can be used to step up or step down the voltage. This allows for efficient and compact power conversion.

2. What are the advantages of using a piezoelectric transformer in this application?

Piezoelectric transformers have several advantages over traditional electromagnetic transformers. They are much smaller and lighter, making them ideal for use in portable devices. They also have a wider operating temperature range and are less prone to electromagnetic interference. Additionally, they have higher efficiency and can operate at higher frequencies, which can be beneficial for certain applications.

3. Are there any limitations to using a piezoelectric transformer?

One limitation of piezoelectric transformers is that they have a limited power output compared to electromagnetic transformers. They are also more sensitive to mechanical stress and can be damaged easily if not handled properly. Additionally, the design and fabrication of piezoelectric transformers can be more complex and expensive, which may not be suitable for all applications.

4. How do you determine if a piezoelectric transformer is suitable for a specific application?

The suitability of a piezoelectric transformer for a particular application depends on several factors. These include the required output voltage and current, frequency range, operating temperature, and physical size constraints. The design and fabrication of the transformer must also take into account the properties of the piezoelectric material and the desired mechanical and electrical characteristics. Extensive testing and optimization may be necessary to ensure the transformer meets the requirements of the application.

5. Can a piezoelectric transformer be used in high-power applications?

While piezoelectric transformers are typically used in low-power applications, there have been advancements in the technology that allow for higher power outputs. However, the power handling capabilities are still limited compared to electromagnetic transformers. Additionally, the cost and complexity of designing and fabricating a high-power piezoelectric transformer may make it less practical for certain applications.