Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can energy transferred from one body to the other be of same form?

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    Suppose some energy, say light energy transfers from one body to another .. Then will the light energy transferred to the second body also be in the form of light energy?
    I mean are there any chances that the energy transferred between two different bodies be of same kind of energy? If yes, please explain with an example. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Sure, thermal energy by conduction or convection.

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3
    In case of mechanical and thermal energy I should say yes.
    Light, as your example, generally borns when a body was very hot and the molecules are excited and then it emitts an electromagnetic wave, in this case light.
    The visible light transports both energy and momentum; it may be absorbed by another body as heat or it may be reflexed.
    In transparent bodies like optical fibers the light is in a "tramp" and it travels trough: in this way I should say that light is transferred in the same form of energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook