1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can equilibrium rate constant has unit of [time^-1]?

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    Hi all,
    I am having a homework problem that is statement really bothers me and I think it might be a typo.
    It goes in the following:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A is a short life unstable state and it is in equilibrium with B and C.
    A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]B
    A[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]C

The equilibrium rate constants are K[itex]_{AB}[/itex]and K[itex]_{AC}[/itex] with units [time]^-1.

Question: what is the mean lifetime of the state A?

Is this making sense?? Even for non-elementary reactions the equilibrium rate constants can only have the dimension of concentration. So I really don't know how the [time]^-1 came from.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2
    Your statement:"Even for non-elementary reactions the equilibrium rate constants can only have the dimension of concentration." is wrong. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_constant#Units
    R ⇌ P ⟺ Keq = [P] ÷ [R] (at equilibrium) ⟺ Moles/L ÷ Moles/L ( or P/V ÷ P/V for gas phase...)
    as long as there are as many product molecules (product species) as reactants, you will have [P]ⁿ/[R]ⁿ which will result in (Moles/L ÷ Moles/L)ⁿ which is unitless.
    The rate of reaction of species X is, of course, d[X]/dt.

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    If the kinetics of the reaction from A to B are described by

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt}=-\frac{dA}{dt}=k_{AB}A[/tex]

what you assess the units of the rate constant kAB to be?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted