1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can h(x)=(cos x)^x be written as a composition of two functions f and

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Can h(x)=(cos x)^x be written as a composition of two functions f and g where f(x)=x^n and g(x)=cosx ? where h=fog

REASON FOR ASKING: I am wondering this in connect with a differentiation I was having trouble with (but can now solve thanks to this forum). I mistakenly thought that I could apply the chain rule for composition of functions. Seems it doesn't apply. (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2796762#post2796762)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2
    Re: Composition

You need to be careful with notation. In your example
    [tex]h(x)=f\circ g(x)=(\cos(x))^n[/tex]
    where you have a different variable in the exponent. So all rules you know are valid without exception, but you have to get the notation right.

You could also try
    f(x)=a^x or f(x,n)=x^n
    but you'll notice that at some point the expression won't match what you have in your rules.

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It can't, because in h(x) the exponent is x, the variable, while in f(x) the exponent is a constant. This makes an important difference when you are differentiating because the standard "power law" only applies when the exponent is constant.

5. Jul 14, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Specifically, the derivative of xa, with a constant, is axa-1 while the derivative of ax is (ln(a))ax.

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5

Thanks. I can see my mistake --- there's no way to define f(x) to satisfy the requirements.

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

There is. Remember that [tex]f(x) = e^{\ln f(x)}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook