Can Human Weight Wearing Shoes Be Less Than Body Weight Plus Shoe Weight?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Nivas.S
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Nivas.S
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I Found that my body weight with shoes is found less than the sum of ( body weight without shoes + weight of shoes ).

example : Weight of body is A and Weight of shoes is B
Human weight wearing shoes is C

I Found that C > ( A + B ).

Is it possible ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe so. It's probably a result of your scale having different weighing errors at different amounts of weight. IE if you put 5 pounds on it, it may be accurate to within 1-2 pounds, and if you put 150 pounds it may be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. If you put 155 pounds it may still be accurate to within 2-3 pounds. So if you add the first two measurements you could be off by several pounds compared to the third measurement just due to the errors inherent to the scale and the fact that you took multiple measurements.

Try doing several different measurements. Try putting your shoes on the scale and then pressing down and letting the scale come back up afterwards and see if that changes the measurement. Sometimes if it approaches the weight from the other way it will be different. Does that make sense?
 
Thanks for your answer which gives a possibility for these kind of situations as well.

I have seen the reverse as well in a new weighing machine where C < ( A + B ) does the sponge material available in it makes the difference ?
 
Nivas.S said:
Thanks for your answer which gives a possibility for these kind of situations as well.

I have seen the reverse as well in a new weighing machine where C < ( A + B ) does the sponge material available in it makes the difference ?

I think it's unlikely.