Can I Combine X and Y Components in the Work Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate work using the equation work = F x S, where F represents force and S represents displacement. The individual is unsure how to combine the x and y components of force, but it is clarified that work is the dot product of the two vectors. The resulting equation is (5.33 N x 3.4 m) + (4.42 N x 0 m).
Tinkylo
Homework Statement
If you apply a force F with the x component =5.33 N and the y component = 4.42 N on a car which moves along the x-axis by a displacement of 3.4 m. What is the work done on the car by your force in J?
Relevant Equations
work= F x S
I don't know how to combine the x,y components with the equation of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tinkylo said:
Homework Statement:: If you apply a force F with the x component =5.33 N and the y component = 4.42 N on a car which moves along the x-axis by a displacement of 3.4 m. What is the work done on the car by your force in J?
Relevant Equations:: work= F x S

I don't know how to combine the x,y components with the equation of work.
Force and displacement are vectors. How is work defined in terms of these vectors?

work is the dot product of the vector of force snd displacement.

Tinkylo said:
work is the dot product of the vector of force snd displacement.
Yes. So, use that.

That's mean the expression will be (5.33Nx3.4m)+(4.42N x0m)?

Likes PeroK
Thx a lot!

1. Can I combine different units in the work equation?

Yes, as long as the units are compatible and can be converted into the same unit. For example, you can combine meters and kilograms in the work equation, but not meters and seconds.

2. Can I combine work and energy in the work equation?

No, work and energy are two separate concepts and cannot be combined in the work equation. Work is the transfer of energy, but they have different units and cannot be directly added or subtracted.

3. Can I combine positive and negative values in the work equation?

Yes, you can combine positive and negative values in the work equation as long as they represent the same type of energy. However, the resulting value may be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction of the force and displacement.

4. Can I combine components from different equations in the work equation?

No, the work equation should only include components that are directly related to work, such as force and displacement. Combining components from different equations may result in an incorrect calculation.

5. Can I combine components with different variables in the work equation?

Yes, you can combine components with different variables in the work equation as long as they represent the same type of energy. For example, you can combine force and displacement, even if one is represented by "F" and the other by "d". Just make sure to use the correct units for each variable.