Can I get description of how heat is realized during fire?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter goodphy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fire Heat Oxidation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
goodphy
Messages
212
Reaction score
8
Hello.

I've learn that fire is chain-reaction process when burning materials are surrounded by oxygen with enough amount and they're heated exceeding some ignition point.

That point is nothing but the temperature above which oxidation between material and oxygen begins. Then during oxidization, heat is realized so chain-reaction starts.

Here I would like to know atomic transition of this oxidation. Specifically, I want to know how heat is realized when electron from material transfers to the oxygen. Is it due to that original energy level of the electron higher than occupied level in oxygen? Does electron occupy outermost orbit of oxygen? Is oxidization all heat-realize process?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The details of combustion are complicated processes with intermediate transient species that are not mentioned in the total reaction formulas. These intermediates are in excited states: electronic excited states and vibrationally excited states. Some are on dissociative potential surfaces, which means that the pieces of such a molecule will fly apart with a kinetic energy of a few eV. Vibrationally excited states will get to the ground state in collisions, which also transfers energy to translational kinetic energy.