Can I see sea-level sunset if something lower than me is blocking my sight?

• Thread starter dalcde
  • Start date
In summary, the sun will be at a higher angle below the horizon if the world is round. This means that someone on a higher hill will be able to see a sea-level sunset.
dalcde
This is my situation:
I am on a roughly 250m hill and trying to see sea-level sunset, but there is another hill 4-5km away that is roughly 200m tall, which is probably in the way.

Question:
Will I be able to see a sea-level sunset since I am higher than the hill blocking me?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section. This seems to be the most relevant)

EDIT: By the way, if I wouldn't be able to see it, how high would the sun have to be for me to be able to see it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see the sea horizon? if yes, then yes you will see it. And if no, then it is possible that you see sun which is on the tangent of Earth at the sea(due to atmospheric refraction). But even if it is so you will see the sun at sea but not sea itself then i don't think it is a sea sunset. How far is the sea from you btw?

But don't be sad you will get see a hill level sunset instead! YAY!

hi dalcde! :smile:

the important issue is, at height h above sea level, what is the angle below the horizontal to the sea horizon? :wink:

(use ordinary geometry)

tiny-tim said:
hi dalcde! :smile:

the important issue is, at height h above sea level, what is the angle below the horizontal to the sea horizon? :wink:

(use ordinary geometry)

If the world is flat, it should be zero degrees, but it is round... Any more help would be appreciated.

@sk9 It could make a huge difference when it comes to watching solar eclipses (it happens when the sun is at 5 degrees altitude, unfortunately).

dalcde said:
If the world is flat, it should be zero degrees, but it is round... Any more help would be appreciated.

just draw a circle with a tangent :wink:

1. Can I still see the sunset at sea level if there is an obstruction in my line of sight?

Yes, you can still see the sunset at sea level even if there is an obstruction in your line of sight. This is because the sun's rays are able to bend and reach your eyes despite the obstruction.

2. What causes the sun's rays to bend and allow us to see the sunset despite obstructions?

The bending of the sun's rays is caused by a phenomenon called atmospheric refraction. This is when light passing through different layers of the Earth's atmosphere is bent due to the change in density and temperature of the air.

3. How does the height of the obstruction affect my ability to see the sunset at sea level?

The height of the obstruction can affect your ability to see the sunset at sea level. The higher the obstruction, the more likely it is to block your line of sight to the horizon. However, if the obstruction is lower than the horizon, you will still be able to see the sunset.

4. Can I still see the sunset if the obstruction is higher than the sun?

Yes, you can still see the sunset even if the obstruction is higher than the sun. This is because the sun's rays are able to bend and reach your eyes despite the height of the obstruction.

5. Is it possible to see the sunset at sea level if there are multiple obstructions in my line of sight?

Yes, it is possible to see the sunset at sea level even if there are multiple obstructions in your line of sight. As long as the sun's rays are able to bend and reach your eyes, you will be able to see the sunset despite the obstructions.