1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Can I skip my masters and go on to getting my PhD in Physics?

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in Physics. I was wondering after my undergraduate can I skip my Masters and move onto my PhD ,if so how much of a risk would it be? I honestly don't want to end up teaching as a career ,but rather be researching instead. All I really know right now is my PhD could be paid for...is that true?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    Academic guidance forum?

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    My impression is that many PhD students often have an unsatisfactory knowledge of the basics...

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

In the US, almost all physics graduate programs are immediate PhD programs. Typically, the first 1-2 years are spent taking classes and doing light research, which is effectively the 'masters' portion of the program. After that, besides a few classes here and there, it's full time research. A lot of programs won't even give you the masters degree unless you either a) go out of your way to request it or b) fail to get a PhD.

Also in the US, it's almost gauranteed that your tuition will be paid in full by the physics department. On top of that, you will be given a stipend (16k~35k) for your services as a teaching/research assistant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook