Can I skip my masters and go on to getting my PhD in Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter fvirani786
  • Start date
I am currently a sophomore in college majoring in Physics. I was wondering after my undergraduate can I skip my Masters and move onto my PhD ,if so how much of a risk would it be? I honestly don't want to end up teaching as a career ,but rather be researching instead. All I really know right now is my PhD could be paid for...is that true?

Answers and Replies

Academic guidance forum?

My impression is that many PhD students often have an unsatisfactory knowledge of the basics...

Nabeshin
Science Advisor
In the US, almost all physics graduate programs are immediate PhD programs. Typically, the first 1-2 years are spent taking classes and doing light research, which is effectively the 'masters' portion of the program. After that, besides a few classes here and there, it's full time research. A lot of programs won't even give you the masters degree unless you either a) go out of your way to request it or b) fail to get a PhD.

Also in the US, it's almost gauranteed that your tuition will be paid in full by the physics department. On top of that, you will be given a stipend (16k~35k) for your services as a teaching/research assistant.