Can I solve this using Kirchoff's Law?

In summary: The loop abcdefa is a combination of the other two loops, so it is not an independent equation. So we have 3 independent equations and 7 unknowns, which means there are infinitely many solutions. In summary, the given circuit has 7 resistors and 3 voltage sources. Using Kirchoff's laws, we can form 3 independent equations and 7 unknowns, leading to infinitely many solutions. This indicates that we may have overlooked an independent equation in the circuit.
Paul Lasdivan
Homework Statement
Can I solve this using Kirchoff's Law?
Relevant Equations
Kirchoff's Law
ee.png

We were given a circuit with 7 resistors and 3 voltage sources
For emf sources, ##E_1=120V##, ##E_2=60V##, and ##E_3=30V## while for resistors in ohms,##R_1=10##, ##R_2=5##, ##R_3=20##, ##R_4=8##, ##R_5=12##, ##R_6=6##, ##R_7=8##. Nodes are indicated in small letters (a-j). Loops ##abefa##, ##abcdefa## and ##aghcdijfa## are assumed clockwise while the loop ##cbedc## is counterclockwise.

I applied Kirchoff's Current Rule in nodes ##b## and ##e##:

$$
I_1+I_3 = I_2\\
I_4+I_5 = I_2
$$

And then I apply the Voltage Rule:
Loop ##abefa##:
$$120-I_1R_1-I_2R_2-30-I_4R_4=0$$
Loop ##cbedc##:
$$60-I_3R_3-I_2R_2-30-I_5R_5=0$$
Loop ##abcdefa:##

$$120-I_1R_1+I_3R_3-60+I_5R_5-I_4R_4=0$$

Since I have 5 equations already with 5 unknows, hopefully I should solve these values.

From 1st and 2nd equations, ##I_4 = I_2-I_5 = I_1+I_3-I_5##. Setting ##I_4##, and ##I_2## in terms of ##I_1##, ##I_3## and ##I_5## only and substituting them to equations 3, 4 and 5, I get:

$$
23I_1+13I_3-8I_5=90\\
18I_1-12I_3-20I_5=60\\
5I_1+25I_3+12I_5=30
$$

Luckily my calculator supports systems of equations for 3 uknowns, but then I get a math error, which could indicate infinitely many solutions? Maybe I incorrectly applied Kirchoff's rule but I don't know where. Is it valid to apply Kirchoff's rule here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used MATLAB and got a solution from your equations. ##I_1=0.9256; I_3=2.8863; I_5=-3.8987##. The solution checks out. So your equations seem to be solvable.

The determinant of the matrix is very small, 7.7793e-13, so your guess of multiple solutions may be essentially correct. That may mean that you have overlooked an independent equation. I don't see one.

The abcdefa loop is just a combination of the other 2 loops, so you only have 2 equations with 3 unknowns. None of the loops involves R6 or R7 or the currents through them. I think you should end up with 4 equations and 4 unknowns

Likes FactChecker
Good catch. The loop aghcdijfa was listed but forgotten.

Paul Lasdivan said:
Homework Statement: Can I solve this using Kirchoff's Law?
Homework Equations: Kirchoff's Law

View attachment 248007

We were given a circuit with 7 resistors and 3 voltage sources
For emf sources, ##E_1=120V##, ##E_2=60V##, and ##E_3=30V## while for resistors in ohms,##R_1=10##, ##R_2=5##, ##R_3=20##, ##R_4=8##, ##R_5=12##, ##R_6=6##, ##R_7=8##. Nodes are indicated in small letters (a-j). Loops ##abefa##, ##abcdefa## and ##aghcdijfa## are assumed clockwise while the loop ##cbedc## is counterclockwise.

I applied Kirchoff's Current Rule in nodes ##b## and ##e##:

$$
I_1+I_3 = I_2\\
I_4+I_5 = I_2
$$

And then I apply the Voltage Rule:
Loop ##abefa##:
$$120-I_1R_1-I_2R_2-30-I_4R_4=0$$
Loop ##cbedc##:
$$60-I_3R_3-I_2R_2-30-I_5R_5=0$$
Loop ##abcdefa:##

$$120-I_1R_1+I_3R_3-60+I_5R_5-I_4R_4=0$$

Since I have 5 equations already with 5 unknows, hopefully I should solve these values.

From 1st and 2nd equations, ##I_4 = I_2-I_5 = I_1+I_3-I_5##. Setting ##I_4##, and ##I_2## in terms of ##I_1##, ##I_3## and ##I_5## only and substituting them to equations 3, 4 and 5, I get:

$$
23I_1+13I_3-8I_5=90\\
18I_1-12I_3-20I_5=60\\
5I_1+25I_3+12I_5=30
$$

Luckily my calculator supports systems of equations for 3 uknowns, but then I get a math error, which could indicate infinitely many solutions? Maybe I incorrectly applied Kirchoff's rule but I don't know where. Is it valid to apply Kirchoff's rule here?
It is ALWAYS correct to apply Kirchhoff's laws.
Even in electromagnetic circuits.
You just have to understand what "voltage" really is.

There are 7 unknown currents and 7 equations

3 loops:

aghcdijfa,abefa,cbedc

4 current enterings points:

b,f and a,d and c, and e

1. Can Kirchoff's Law be used to solve any circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be used to solve any circuit, regardless of its complexity or number of components. It is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that applies to all circuits.

2. How do I apply Kirchoff's Law to a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's Law to a circuit, you need to identify the nodes and branches of the circuit and assign directions to the current flow. Then, write out the Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) equations for each loop and the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node. Finally, solve the resulting equations simultaneously to find the unknown currents and voltages.

3. Can Kirchoff's Law be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, for AC circuits, the equations may be more complex due to the presence of reactive components such as capacitors and inductors.

4. Is it necessary to use Kirchoff's Law to solve a circuit?

No, it is not necessary to use Kirchoff's Law to solve a circuit. There are other methods of circuit analysis, such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis, that can also be used to solve circuits. However, Kirchoff's Law is a fundamental principle that is widely used in circuit analysis and can be a useful tool in solving complex circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law is based on certain assumptions, such as ideal components and steady-state conditions, which may not always hold true in real-world circuits. Additionally, Kirchoff's Law may become more difficult to apply in circuits with a large number of components or complex topologies. In these cases, other methods of circuit analysis may be more practical.