Using Nodal Analysis to determine current in a resistor

In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with nodal analysis while working on a circuit problem. They have attempted to use KVL but are advised to use nodal or source transforms instead. The student is asked to write node equations using given component values without introducing any current variables.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

df7deebdc77d83207d324a5b4bd92cd1.png

Homework Equations

##V = IR##
##\sum_{k = 0}^{n} I_k = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

37cfedb9d46ed11d8f7bb0b74dbc427b.png
[/B]
I set the bottom node as the reference node and worked from there to find the three equations for the loop. When I try to eliminate ##I_4## by using ##I_4 = I_2 - I_3## I run into a problem were both ##I_2## and ##I_3## scale equally are both eliminated from the simultaneous equation. I tried manipulating ##I_1## to solve it but got the wrong answer. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to nodal analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing loop analysis (KVL) but they want you to use nodal or source transforms.

Can you write node equations using the given component values? The only variables you should introduce are the node potentials. No current variables!

1. How does nodal analysis work?

Nodal analysis is a method used to determine the voltage and current in a circuit by analyzing the voltage at each node (junction) in the circuit. It involves writing equations based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to solve for the unknown values.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in the loop. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How many nodes are needed for nodal analysis?

In nodal analysis, at least one node must be chosen as the reference node (usually the ground node) and the remaining nodes are labeled with unknown voltages. The number of nodes needed depends on the complexity of the circuit.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources as long as the number of unknown voltages is equal to the number of equations. This can be achieved by using a supernode, which combines two or more nodes into one larger node.