Can I use 24 Volts input to a car ignition coil?

In summary, the conversation discusses using pulses of current via a capacitor to power an ignition coil for high voltage experiments. The possibility of overheating and instant destruction is mentioned, but it is believed that the breakdown voltage of the coil secondary is higher than necessary. The use of a heat sink fan and the duration of the pulses are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the decision to proceed with testing the setup.
Buzzworks
I'm feeding the current in pulses via 50v 6800 mfd capacitor. Will it destroy the ignition coil instantly, or will just overheat it?

It won't be for automotive use but for general high voltage experiments. As long as instant destruction is a remote possibility, it's easy enough to mitigate overheating, and will proceed using 24V power, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look into CDI ignition systems. They put short duration pulses much higher than 12 volts into ignition coils. Might give you an idea of what you can get by with.

Do it until you release the smoke. Wear safety glasses...

At some point you will find the breakdown voltage of the coil secondary, but it's likely quite a bit higher than "absolutely" necessary. Duty cycle and (over) heating will be of interest. I did once use dueling ignition coils to run a spark gap, but have no memory of how hard I pushed their primaries.

Thanks for your responses so I guess it will likely work. I think I might make a heat sink fan for it. Pulses will be in the micro second range with much larger duration of 'no current' in between.

I've once run several high energy pulses before in an open coil with pvc insulation. Really small gauged wires and passed 30 KV coming from a 2 liter Leyden Jar. Took only few pulses before the insulator melted and the coil shorted.

Not sure how an ignition coil + 30 volts + capacitor would respond so thanks for sharing your own experiences. Going ahead and test it! Thanks! :D

1. Can I use a 24-volt battery to power my car's ignition coil?

No, it is not recommended to use a 24-volt battery to power a car's ignition coil. Most car ignition coils are designed to work with a 12-volt system and using a higher voltage can damage the coil and other components of the car's electrical system.

2. Will using a 24-volt input increase the performance of my car's ignition coil?

No, using a 24-volt input will not increase the performance of a car's ignition coil. The coil is designed to work with a specific voltage and using a higher voltage will not provide any significant benefits.

3. Can using a 24-volt input damage my car's ignition coil?

Yes, using a 24-volt input can damage a car's ignition coil. The higher voltage can cause the coil to overheat and burn out, leading to costly repairs. It is important to use the correct voltage for the ignition coil to ensure its longevity.

4. Why do some people recommend using a 24-volt input for a car's ignition coil?

Some people may recommend using a 24-volt input for a car's ignition coil to try and improve performance. However, this is not recommended as it can damage the coil and other components of the car's electrical system.

5. Can I modify my car's ignition system to work with a 24-volt input?

No, it is not recommended to modify a car's ignition system to work with a 24-volt input. This can cause damage to the car's electrical system and may also void any warranties. It is best to use the recommended voltage for the ignition coil as specified by the manufacturer.