Can I Use Calculus to Explore the Results of My Bouncing Ball Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment conducted in college where a ball was dropped from 10 different heights and the resulting bounce heights were recorded. A linear graph was produced and the equation y=mx+c was used to predict the bounce height from the initial height. The individual is wondering if there are other ways to explore the results and test their knowledge of calculus. They also mention potential and kinetic energies as a potential avenue to explore and question how this experiment relates to Newton's Laws.
iamBevan
Hi guys - recently in college we have done an experiment where we drop a ball from 10 different heights, and recorded the bounce height. Obviously all the results were tabulated, and then a graph produced. It turns out that the graph is linear, and I have worked out y=mx+c, so am able to predict the bounce height with just the initial height.

I was just wondering if there is anything else I can explore from the results, other than just predicting the bounce height? Is there anything I can do that would test my calculus?

(I'm living in the UK, so when I say college I mean A-Levels)

Thanks!

P.S. Also I am wondering how this fits in with Newton's Laws. I'm guessing his Third Law has particular relevance here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, not sure how to delete this post - I have reposted in the homework section...

How about the Potential and Kinetic energies (if you haven't done that already) of the ball at every bounce?

1. How do you conduct a bouncing ball experiment?

In a bouncing ball experiment, you will need a ball, a ruler, and a flat surface. Begin by dropping the ball from a specific height and observe how high it bounces. Repeat this process at different heights and record your results.

2. What factors affect the bounce height of a ball?

The bounce height of a ball can be affected by several factors including the material and size of the ball, the surface it is dropped on, and the force of the drop.

3. How do you measure the bounce height of a ball?

The bounce height of a ball can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape. Simply measure the distance from the surface it was dropped on to the highest point the ball reaches after bouncing.

4. What is the purpose of a bouncing ball experiment?

The purpose of a bouncing ball experiment is to understand the concept of elasticity and how it affects the bounce height of objects. It can also be used to study the effects of different materials and surfaces on the bounce height of a ball.

5. Can a bouncing ball experiment be used to predict real-world scenarios?

Yes, the results of a bouncing ball experiment can be used to make predictions about real-world scenarios. For example, it can help determine the energy loss of a bouncing ball, which can be applied to situations such as sports or engineering.