Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can joined religious leaders bring a solution?

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    I just asked myself if a serious message of a Conference of Religious World Leaders could make a difference. I know some years ago we had something similar, but the message was not that powerful. A retry?

I see now a self-powering circle of violence. The beheading was predictable. This is a new individual drama on one of the sides, but there are many of drama's.

On the two sides you have extremes, both choose the violent way, each with a proper agenda and strategy.

The newcons in the US and the Islamic extremists on the other side.

This is not the 'clash of civilizations' but the 'clash of extremists'.

In a newcon document of 2000 http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf you can read that the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the "immediate justification", (but that) the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf "transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein". 9/11 was the trigger, not the reason. And the revenges God of the newborn Christians was also involved.

The other side - easily called Al-Qaeda - have primary religious reasons which transcends civil issues and values. The goal is a religious society were individual rights are less important. For them it is important to have powerful show-cases like 9/11 and Berg's execution.

Where are the moderated voices of both sides or better ... of the joined religious world leaders?

Would such a Conference make a difference in your opinion?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2004 #2
    First, what right does any religious leader have to present any form of guidance for anyone?
  4. May 12, 2004 #3
    Top religious leaders happen to have an influence on "their" people. And they have a sort of morale authority.
  5. May 12, 2004 #4
    Do you have a point?
  6. May 12, 2004 #5
    I'll make it simpler: Apart from the "We're all sheep" response, why look to those people for any sort of guidance?
  7. May 12, 2004 #6
    Because, despite your constant reminder of how you are against religion, these leaders hold a viable power of morals within certain groups.
    The shiite leader (damn, I can't remember his name) in Iraq is the main reason we are able to operate so smoothly in much of the country. He could wave his hand and we'd have falluja x100 if he wanted. Religious leaders have also negotiated the release of many hostages.
  8. May 12, 2004 #7
    I am aware that religious leaders have power over their followers. The questions was: Should they?
  9. May 12, 2004 #8
    Indeed. You see also how the moderate clerics in Najaf pressing al-Sadr out.

That shiite leader: Ali Sistani

His site:http://www.sistani.org/html/eng/main/index.php?page=1&part=1.
  10. May 12, 2004 #9
    Wrong question, maybe good question in another thread.
    They have.
    Real question: So can we do something with that to solve some serious actual problems?
  11. May 12, 2004 #10

Absolutely! We should already be in meetings with these moderate clerics finding out "What is it that we can do for you?"
  12. May 12, 2004 #11
    but the foreign fighters' religious leader is Osama.
    I think the moderate ones could shift popular opinion in favor of the Americans. But do they want to, and how clearly can you think with all the bombs going off
  13. May 12, 2004 #12
    I'm aware of no religious leader named Osama.
  14. May 12, 2004 #13
    Usama, if you will then.
  15. May 12, 2004 #14
    I'm not aware of a religious leader named Usama either.
  16. May 13, 2004 #15
    BTW what is the real difference in farrightwing religious nuts be they taliban, ortho jew, or bible thumping christian, in the overall threat to freedom and progress of civilrights
    all hate gays
    all want to censor, movies, books, music ect
    all have sex hangups
    all want to control goverments to shape laws to suit their religions ideas
    all are anti-womans rights
    all are anti-abortion
    all think anyone not in their CULT is evil

the threat to freedom from religion is the root problem, not just one religion all are evil
    so the last thing we want is for them all to get together and work on their common goal
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?