Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Light be Cut?And if so then what would it take.

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    As far as I know it Light is composed of Photons.So what I am asking here is if those particles could be cut or split rather apart? What would it take to accomplish such a feat?

Bonus Question:Can an electric current be cut?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lightsaber?

4. May 10, 2012 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so you are asking if you can split a photon in half ?
    I am not aware of that being able to be done

yes ---- turn the supply off :smile:

Dave

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    Read the wikipedia article on elementary particles.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    Good question Promeus. Excited atomic states take about 10 nanoseconds to emit a photon. So traveling at a speed of 10^8 meters/second, a typical visible photon would be about one meter long. What would happen if a shutter on a pin hole closed on a single photon while it was half-way through the pin hole?

7. May 11, 2012 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I disagree with your reasoning. The time it may take for an atom to emit a photon cannot be used to measure the "size" of that photon. The photon does not start at nanosecond #1 and be continuously "emitted" during that entire 10 nanosecond duration. That 10 nanoseconds is the delay time before its emission.

As far as I know, the photon cannot be said to have a physical size.

8. May 11, 2012 #7
    Photons are quantized, meaning you cannot get them in fractions, but only in positive integral multiples of [itex]h\nu[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook