Can one truly master physics or is there always more to learn?

• Thread starter RaulTheUCSCSlug
  • Start date
In summary: I am not aware of it? Nah, we do it for the money, although I have to admit Greg hasn't paid us in a long time. Or...maybe he has and I am not aware of it?
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
I love tutoring physics and mathematics at the high school level. But when it comes to some of the questions here that are much more conceptual and are college level math and physics problems, I am hesitant to answer, since I might be wrong. But I still want to offer an input and try to help?

Is it wrong that I want to express my point of view in a problem even though I might not have the sufficient knowledge to solve such problem? I am not very good at physics, but that is my major. :cry::cry::cry:

Does one just get better at Physics over time? Does one ever master physics? When does one know when one has mastered a subject? :oldconfused:

Science news on Phys.org
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
I love tutoring physics and mathematics at the high school level. But when it comes to some of the questions here that are much more conceptual and are college level math and physics problems, I am hesitant to answer, since I might be wrong. But I still want to offer an input and try to help?

Is it wrong that I want to express my point of view in a problem even though I might not have the sufficient knowledge to solve such problem? I am not very good at physics, but that is my major. :cry::cry::cry:

Does one just get better at Physics over time? Does one ever master physics? When does one know when one has mastered a subject? :oldconfused:
It's good that you want to participate, but it's not all that great an idea to give an answer that you are not sure of since there are lots of folks here who do know what they are talking about. Like you, I wish I were one of them.

One thing you can do is, if you are pretty sure you've got it right, is to preface your answer with something like "as I understand it". I do that and when it turns out that I DON'T actually understand it, folks are reasonably polite about setting me straight :smile:

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:

Part of knowledge is knowing when to shut up :wink: So if you feel that you might be wrong or that you like the sufficient knowledge, then it is better to remain silent.

Does one just get better at Physics over time?

Yes, most definitely.

Does one ever master physics? When does one know when one has mastered a subject? :oldconfused:

I don't think somebody ever masters a subject. There is always more to learn. I still learn new point-of-views about simple calculus every time I look at it!

Likes AlephNumbers
micromass said:
Part of knowledge is knowing when to shut up :wink: So if you feel that you might be wrong or that you like the sufficient knowledge, then it is better to remain silent.
Yes, most definitely.
I don't think somebody ever masters a subject. There is always more to learn. I still learn new point-of-views about simple calculus every time I look at it!

Right, just seems so frustrating when I thought I would be able to help others out more. I do give then a heads up that the answer i give is what my intuition says. I like to reinforce what I have learned in my physics courses by trying to apply it daily. Even if I haven't mastered it.

phinds said:
It's good that you want to participate, but it's not all that great an idea to give an answer that you are not sure of since there are lots of folks here who do know what they are talking about. Like you, I wish I were one of them.

One thing you can do is, if you are pretty sure you've got it right, is to preface your answer with something like "as I understand it". I do that and when it turns out that I DON'T actually understand it, folks are reasonably polite about setting me straight :smile:

The amount of folks so dedicated to helping the physics community is quite impressive...

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
The amount of folks so dedicated to helping the physics community is quite impressive...
Nah, we do it for the money, although I have to admit Greg hasn't paid us in a long time. Or ever.

Likes PWiz and RaulTheUCSCSlug

Related to Can one truly master physics or is there always more to learn?

What does it mean to not be the brightest, but try?

Not the brightest, but try is a phrase that acknowledges one's limitations in intelligence or knowledge, but also highlights their determination and effort in trying to overcome those limitations.

Is being the brightest the most important thing?

No, being the brightest is not the most important thing. While intelligence and knowledge are valuable, qualities such as hard work, resilience, and perseverance are equally important in achieving success.

How can one improve their intelligence?

There are various ways to improve one's intelligence, such as reading, learning new skills, solving puzzles and brain teasers, and seeking knowledge from different sources. Regularly challenging and stimulating the brain can help improve cognitive abilities.

Can someone be successful without being the brightest?

Yes, someone can be successful without being the brightest. Success is not solely determined by intelligence, but also by factors such as hard work, determination, and opportunities. Many successful individuals have achieved great things despite not being considered the brightest.

How can one embrace their determination and effort despite not being the brightest?

One can embrace their determination and effort by recognizing and appreciating their own strengths and qualities. It is also important to set realistic goals and focus on continuous improvement rather than comparing oneself to others. Additionally, surrounding oneself with supportive and encouraging individuals can help reinforce the value of determination and effort.