Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can people really use yogic powers/their mind to levitate?

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1
    Can people really use yogic powers/their mind to levitate? How do they do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Yes. I do it every day whenever nobody is looking. I can teach you how to do it, but it will cost you. This is a valuable talent, the knowledge did not come cheap and I still owe my yogi.

4. Jun 21, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I saw some guy who claimed to be able to do that. The film footage sucked the intrigue out of it.

1] He was inside a large closed box. He would make the *box* levitate. You could not actually see *him* levitate.

2] This is speculation, but I'll bet that he best he has ever *actually* levitated is about a half second. (Note that when you hear abvout someone levtitating, you assume he can do it for a duration lonf enough to show unequivocably that he is in fact hovering.)

In the film, he was unable to succeed - not the right kind of chai flow or whatever. But it did look a whole lot like he was throwing himself around inside the box - it would jump off the floor several times.

I imagine that a really skilled person, with the right technique and a good grip and the right kind of jumping could conceivably make a box hang suspended in the air for a half second.

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    Of course! And stage magicians are real too. You'd think they're just using slight-of-hands and hidden tricks to deceive a paying audience for entertiainment. But in actually they're merely exploiting natural physical laws that no one else knows about and that must not or can not be replicated under controlled circumstances. It's a secret, you know! :wink:

6. Jun 21, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If anyone could and we knew about it, you would see "yogic force" listed with the other forces of nature.

I wonder if it would go as the inverse square of the distance from a point yogi...? :rolleyes:

7. Jun 22, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the bit about the yogis motivated me to close the thread. I too have seen some of these guys bouncing on their butts and claiming to defy gravity. Frankly, it was embarrassing to even watch. But there are claims of levitation found throughout history. Here is one link that mentions some of the more famous claims.

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/l/levitation.html

Also, recently we have seen video trickery in this regard.

The thread is open.

8. Jun 22, 2006 #7
    Which feild force would be responible for doing this? EM is the only one I can think of.

9. Jun 23, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No way to know. But the question is not how levitation might work, the question is whether or not anyone has ever levitated. I have heard of one or two seemingly compelling stories, but AFAIK, most claims involve religion.

10. Jun 23, 2006 #9
    Oh thanks. :grumpy: Now you've ruined it for me. Here all this time I thought it was sleight <sp?> of hand. The magic is all gone for me now. :rofl: :tongue2:

11. Jun 23, 2006 #10
    This site seems to have a good explantion. It doesn't say anything about levitation but I think this could explain levitaion.

12. Jun 23, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't do so well without enough caffeine myself. :rofl:

13. Jun 24, 2006 #12
    I have an old book called "Mental Fascination" I found at the swap meet a few years ago which has a very interesting explanation of levitation and other remarkable things. I've been thinking about starting a thread on the subject.

14. Jun 24, 2006 #13
    so you think David Blaines street magic is genuine? Or is it just sleight of hand?

15. Jun 24, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Come on, do you really think that something like this could be genuine and repeatable without being the headline on every newspaper in the world?

16. Jun 24, 2006 #15
    Pay in picnic baskets? :rofl:

17. Jun 24, 2006 #16
    I have this aunt that says she once levitated while meditating and claims she can do it again. I get soo tired of these people who claim they do this. I'm like "Ok, then let me know the next time you plan on doing this, or at least video tape it!". Never happens of course. Gee i wonder why. lol

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  18. Jun 24, 2006 #17
    Look my previous post. The link in it might have a possible explantion.

19. Jun 25, 2006 #18
    That would be auntie-gravity. :tongue:

20. Jun 26, 2006 #19
    I think David Blaine is an especially talented, but conventional magician. The stuff this book describes is of a completely different nature.

The main reason I haven't started a thread about it yet is that it would require typing out a lengthy quote from the book, and digging up some links to supporting info.

21. Jun 26, 2006 #20

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone tell Evo to take that banner off Danger, we have a new contender! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?