Can Pressure Cause Water to Freeze at Room Temperature?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
pzona
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
I imagine everyone here is familiar with the classic demonstration of making water boil at room temperature using a vacuum pump. Since lowering pressure changes the state from liquid to gas, can raising the temperature cause it to freeze? I know some about the difference in amounts of pressure it takes to undergo the change from liquid to gas and from liquid to solid, but is this even theoretically possible? Obviously it's not going to happen in a high school lab, but I was just wondering if there is a pressure at which water will freeze at room temperature.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not that knowledge on chemistry, but since I believe a liquid, solid, and gas are determined by how dense their molecules are, that under significant pressure that molecules would be packed so tightly in order to call it a solid.
 
pzona said:
Since lowering pressure changes the state from liquid to gas, can raising the temperature cause it to freeze?

I assume you mean pressure here. Yes, http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/phase.gif" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
pzona said:
lowering pressure changes the state from liquid to gas

That's not exactly true. Lowering pressure you lower boiling point temperature - but it is not enough to vaporize the liquid. For that you still need to add enough heat to the system (enthalpy of vaporization). Boiling in the experiment you have described is possible thanks to water lowering its temperature, and soon stops in the lack of external heating.