Can repulsing magnets create lift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using repulsive magnets to lift a box up in the air and keep it moving. It is pointed out that this idea has a fundamental flaw due to Newton's third law of motion and conservation of momentum. The type of magnet used does not change this flaw. The conversation also touches on the concept of trying to lift oneself up by pulling on bootstraps and the importance of following the laws of the universe.
sameev29
Suppose there are 2 sets of magnets housed inside a box.One set can move vertically and the other set moves horizontally.Now if enough repulsion is created between the vertical set's magnets the top magnet will touch the box's body and try to go out but can't.So if I keep the repulsion going will the top magnet create a force enough to lift the whole box up in air and keep going?

Can the same happen for the horizontal set's magnets to move left and right?

Here is an image:

v9ZPk1z.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That will work until the lower magnet hits the box as well (or gets so far away the force becomes negligible), so the best you can get is a tiny "hop" until you support the lower magnet externally (then you reproduce the idea of a maglev train).

mfb said:
That will work until the lower magnet hits the box as well (or gets so far away the force becomes negligible), so the best you can get is a tiny "hop" until you support the lower magnet externally (then you reproduce the idea of a maglev train).

I was thinking of using hydraulics to move the lower magnet up and down or hold it at a certain position to create the repulsion.

I am trying to find out what kind of magnets will I need to make this happen properly.I need to keep the craft as light weight as possible.Do you think electro magnets are a good idea?

sameev29 said:
I was thinking of using hydraulics to move the lower magnet up and down or hold it at a certain position to create the repulsion.
No matter what you do, if you do it within the box you do not gain anything as the repulsion between the magnets gives the same force (just in opposite direction) on both sides.
sameev29 said:
I am trying to find out what kind of magnets will I need to make this happen properly.
The type of magnet does not matter, the basic idea has a fundamental flaw and cannot work at all.

mfb said:
No matter what you do, if you do it within the box you do not gain anything as the repulsion between the magnets gives the same force (just in opposite direction) on both sides.
The type of magnet does not matter, the basic idea has a fundamental flaw and cannot work at all.

Could you tell me what the fundamental flaw is?

What if the lower magnet is more stronger compared to the upper one.So the repulsion won't be the same right?

sameev29 said:
Could you tell me what the fundamental flaw is?
Newton's third law. Or, more general, conservation of momentum.
What if the lower magnet is more stronger compared to the upper one.So the repulsion won't be the same right?
It will be exactly the same. No matter which magnets you use, how you put them in and so on.

Suppose there are 2 sets of magnets housed inside a box.One set can move vertically and the other set moves horizontally.Now if enough repulsion is created between the vertical set's magnets the top magnet will touch the box's body and try to go out but can't.So if I keep the repulsion going will the top magnet create a force enough to lift the whole box up in air and keep going?

Can the same happen for the horizontal set's magnets to move left and right?

Here is an image:

v9ZPk1z.png

Can you lift yourself up into the air by pulling on your own bootstraps?

jtbell said:
Can you lift yourself up into the air by pulling on your own bootstraps?

Bootstraps don't repulse.

OK, strap a rigid hat firmly onto your head. Can you lift yourself into the air by pushing upwards on the brim of the hat? :)

That's basically the same thing your two magnets are doing: pushing on each other.

jtbell said:
OK, strap a rigid hat firmly onto your head. Can you lift yourself into the air by pushing upwards on the brim of the hat? :)

That's basically the same thing your two magnets are doing: pushing on each other.

Maybe I could if the force is strong enough.And I mean really strong.

I just want to know what kind of magnets I need and what calculat6ions should I be doing to make a good assumption.

Where's the Earth shattering KABOOM! on loss of the Third Law?

Doug Huffman said:
Where's the Earth shattering KABOOM! on loss of the Third Law?

Tell me one thing about Newton's third law.If one object is big and the other is small and they collide with each other,will the smaller object react with the same force that was applied to it by the bigger object?

sameev29 said:
Tell me one thing about Newton's third law.If one object is big and the other is small and they collide with each other,will the smaller object react with the same force that was applied to it by the bigger object?
Yes.

Sorry, we cannot help you violate the laws of the universe. It is impossible, no matter how hard you try. I closed the thread.
Please do not open multiple threads for the same topic.

1. How do repulsing magnets create lift?

When two magnets with the same polarity are brought close together, they create a magnetic repulsion force. This force pushes the magnets away from each other, creating a lifting effect.

2. Is it possible to create lift using only repulsing magnets?

No, repulsing magnets alone cannot create lift. The force of repulsion between the magnets is not strong enough to overcome the weight of an object and lift it off the ground.

3. Can repulsing magnets be used to levitate objects?

Yes, repulsing magnets can be used to levitate objects. By arranging multiple magnets in a specific way, the repulsive forces can be balanced and an object can be suspended in mid-air.

4. Are there any practical applications of using repulsing magnets for lift?

Currently, there are no practical applications of using repulsing magnets for lift in everyday life. However, there is ongoing research and development in this area for potential future applications in transportation and energy production.

5. Is repulsing magnet lift technology safe for human use?

There is no evidence to suggest that repulsing magnet lift technology is unsafe for human use. However, as with any new technology, thorough testing and regulation would need to be conducted to ensure its safety before it can be implemented for human use.