Can somebody check my work on this Fourier Series problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving Fourier series, specifically the calculation of a_o, a_n, and b_n for a given function. The student is unsure if their calculations are correct and asks for verification, while the teacher suggests checking the results by graphing the original function and the Fourier series. The conversation ends with the student asking for confirmation on their answer for b_n and the teacher advising them to graph the series to confirm its accuracy.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

pix.jpg

Homework Equations

img1.gif

img3.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Since P=2L, L=1 ?

a_o = 1/2 [ ∫(from -1 to 0) -dx + ∫(from 0 to 1) dx ] = 1/2 [ (0-1) + (1-0) ] = 1/2(0) = 0

a_n = - ∫ (from -1 to 0) cosnπx dx + ∫ (from 0 to 1) cosnπx dx = 0

b_n = - ∫ (from -1 to 0) sinnπx dx + (from 0 to 1) sinnπx dx = 2/nπ - 2/nπ*(cosnπ) = 2nπ / (1-cosnπ) = { 4/nπ n is odd ; 0 is even
The problem is my teacher has this as his answer:
pic2.jpg

Am i doing something incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not check by graphing the original function and the Fourier series?

Dr. Courtney said:
Why not check by graphing the original function and the Fourier series?
I understand you can check through graphing, but I just wanted some verification that my math is correct?

Wait L is suppose to equal 2 correct? Not 1?

Aristotle said:
Wait L is suppose to equal 2 correct? Not 1?

If you mean that one period of the function goes from ##-L## to ##+L## then yes, of course ##L = 2##. That was implied in the question.

Likes Aristotle
Ray Vickson said:
If you mean that one period of the function goes from ##-L## to ##+L## then yes, of course ##L = 2##. That was implied in the question.
I figured...
For my b_n I got 2/(n*pi) [1 - cos(n*pi / 2 ).

Is this correct?

Aristotle said:
I figured...
For my b_n I got 2/(n*pi) [1 - cos(n*pi / 2 ).

Is this correct?
Why don't you do as suggested and graph the resulting series? That'll tell you immediately if you got the right series. If you still want someone to check your work, you need to show it. Just posting the answer is next to useless.

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate periodic signals in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. Why is it important to check my work on a Fourier Series problem?

Checking your work on a Fourier Series problem is important to ensure accuracy and to identify any mistakes or errors in your calculations. It also helps to understand the concept better and to improve your problem-solving skills.

3. How can somebody check my work on a Fourier Series problem?

One way to check your work on a Fourier Series problem is to use software or online tools that can graph and analyze the series. You can also ask a peer or a tutor to review your work and provide feedback.

4. What are some common mistakes when working on a Fourier Series problem?

Some common mistakes when working on a Fourier Series problem include incorrect identification of the period, incorrect calculation of coefficients, and missing terms in the series. It is also important to pay attention to signs and units when solving the problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving Fourier Series problems?

Some tips for solving Fourier Series problems include understanding the concept and properties of the series, carefully identifying the period and boundaries, using trigonometric identities and properties, and double-checking your calculations. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of problems.