1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain elastic band physics

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    in my physics class we have to create a device that will make an egg not break after being dropped from a second story window. my idea was to take a strength training resistance band and use it like a bungee jumping cord and have the egg drop to the bottom without breaking.
    what are the formulas for this?
    can i have the band weighed down so it doesn't spring back up untill after i unhook the egg at the bottom?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You can approximate the bungee cord as a spring and somewhat model it's behavior with ##m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \beta \frac{dx}{dt} +kx = f(t)##. Where m is the mass, ##\beta## is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and f(t) would be the forcing function. k is ## \frac {F}{s} = k## which you can determine experimentally. ##\beta## will depend both on the material you use and the damping effect as the system moves through air. x will be the displacement. f(t) will be zero in this case.

So you basically want to create it so that the system is over-damped, and the equilibrium position is somewhere off the ground of the drop sight. I wouldn't try to calculate this, as the simple model above isn't going to be accurate enough, basically you're going to want to do a lot of trial and error experimentation.

Make sure you wear goggles when playing around, don't want to lose an eye!

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    thanks very much!

5. Dec 17, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also use a length of string with a short length of elastic to absorb the shock when the string becomes tight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted