wow, that was a long list to read thru.
I may have some insite, but its probably elementary compared to what everyone was talking about.
when you have nabla dot B = 0 this is indicating the divergence is zero, or in other words, what goes in comes back out. This is true for any arbitrary surface or volume.
There is no such thing as a magnetic monopole like in electricity (positive or neg charged particles), so only dipoles exist (pairs of sources and sinks). This means the magnetic field wraps around on itself. The field lines have a direction from positive to negative.
Now, what actually makes a magnet work I am not too sure. I think its the rotation of atoms and their polarity (when they are all aligned a certain way) hence the term magnetic moment when describing magnetization? Not sure, but this is definitley an interesting topic and thought Id thro in my two cents. Thanks.