1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can someone explain to me the work equation for springs?

1. Apr 2, 2016 #1
    I need to find the work done with springs but I don't understand this equation too well, can someone help me know what are each variable and how to find each of them?

WH - fF*d = ΔK + ΔUs + ΔUg?

I know that "WH" is the work done by the hand and that "fF*d" is force of friction * displacement, but what I don't understand is what are "ΔK", "ΔUs", and "ΔUg"?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A capital delta means "change in" whatever follows.
    K = kinetic energy
    U = potential energy - in this case it is the energy stored in the spring (subscript s) or in gravity (subscript g).

Note: fF is the force of friction, fF*d is the work done moving a distance d against friction using the definition of work as W=Fd. (The "*" is sometimes used for multiplication.)

It basically just means that work is equal to the change in energy.
    I'm guessing the spring in question is oriented vertically and has a mass on the end of it.

4. Apr 2, 2016 #3
    pl. give the background of this relation i.e. whether you are raising a body by using a spring or you are moving a body on the surface by working with your hand etc
    otherwise we can apply only common sense logic of using the notations in physics;
    for example- K and U used for kinetic energy and potential energy in physics-
    so change in K- May denote change in kinetic energy
    change in Us may stand for spring energy -the potential energy of the spring by compression/extension.
    change in Ug may stand for change in gravitational potential energy.
    your equation is a energy -work relation and you are taking the work done in overcoming the frictional forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted