Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone please explain this example about cantilever beams

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    This might look a bit stupid but I have just started beams and I can't understand a part in this example it is to do with finding a general equation of the height at any given point on a tapered cantilever beam can someone please explain

Attached Files:

• hx.jpg
      hx.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The height of the beam at a distance x from point A is given by the relation h(x) = 2 +(x/L)

You can use this relation to check the given heights of the beam at A and B, which are 2 in and 3 in, respectively.

The relation is already developed and given to you. I suspect the problem is asking you to do something besides developing this relation.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    I understand that the relationship has been developed, the part I am confused about is that how he has derived this relationship.

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you draw the graph of h against x, it is straight line.

So the relationship is the equation of the straight line through the points (0,ha) and (L,hb).

Plug the values into the standard equation for a line in the form (y-y0) = m(x-x0).

x0 = 0, y0 = ha, and the slope m = (hb-ha)/L.

6. Oct 24, 2011 #5
    OO
    Thank you that really helped

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook