Can someone please explain what plate-out is/means?

• Thread starter Adoniram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, "plate-out" refers to the deposition of daughter products of a radioisotope onto the surface of another material. This could be measured as the plate-out rate, which would indicate the thickness of the plating in units of µM/hour or µM/minute. However, it is important to interpret the phrase in context and consider other materials besides radioisotopes that can be used for plating.
Adoniram
When someone says "plate-out" what exactly do they mean? Here is my incomplete understanding, so please correct me:

-"Plate-out" refers to the deposition of daughter products of a radioisotope onto the surface of another material. For example, one might say "I am measuring the plate-out rate of radon-222 progeny onto copper."

Is that right? If so, if someone said "I am measuring the radon plate-out rate onto copper," do they really mean to say the aforementioned sentence? (probably)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course plating can be done with materials other than radioisotopes.

I think you would need to interpret the phrase in context. If it is what you suppose, then the plate-out would be the thickness of the plating. So the plate-out rate would be in units of µM/hour, µM/minute, or such.

1. What is plate-out?

Plate-out refers to the accumulation of a thin layer of a material (such as a metal or polymer) on the surface of a solid, usually due to a chemical reaction or physical process.

2. How does plate-out occur?

Plate-out can occur through a variety of mechanisms, including chemical reactions, vapor deposition, and electrostatic attraction. It is often associated with high temperatures, pressure, or chemical concentrations.

3. What causes plate-out?

The specific cause of plate-out depends on the material and surface involved. It can be caused by a chemical reaction between the material and the surface, or by the deposition of small particles onto the surface.

4. Is plate-out harmful?

In some cases, plate-out can be harmful. For example, in industrial processes, it can cause equipment failure or decrease product quality. In biological systems, it can interfere with cellular functions. However, in other cases, it may not have any negative effects.

5. How can plate-out be prevented?

Plate-out can be prevented by controlling the conditions that lead to its formation, such as temperature, pressure, and chemical concentrations. Using coatings or surface treatments can also reduce plate-out by creating a barrier between the material and the surface.