Calculating Gravitational Attraction: Force of a 48.9 kg Student on Earth in N

• Thread starter jojo14
  • Start date
In summary, the Earth's gravitational field at the altitude of the space shuttle is 7.95 N/kg or 7.95 m/s². The force of attraction between a student with a mass of 48.9 kg and the Earth can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where g = GM/d². This shows that there is a gravitational field between the two masses that causes the force on the student. The answer should be in units of N.
jojo14
Earth's gravitational field is 7.95 N/kg at the altitude of the space shuttle.
What is the size of the force of attraction between a student of mass 48.9 kg and Earth?

answer in units of N.

please help, i don't get how to do this!

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
7.95 N/kg = 7.95 m/s². This is the value of g at the shuttle, a bit smaller than it is at the surface of the Earth.

The force of gravity between two masses like the Earth and the student on the space shuttle is F = GMm/d² where M is the mass of the Earth and m the mass of the student. Often it is convenient to split this formula into two parts. We say F = mg and g = GM/d². It actually turns out that there really is a g field lying between the two masses. The M causes a gravitational field g around itself and the field causes the force on m. Anyway, that's all you need to do your problem!

I am happy to help you with this calculation. To calculate the force of attraction between the student and Earth, we will use the formula F = mg, where F is the force of attraction, m is the mass of the student (48.9 kg in this case), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (7.95 N/kg at the altitude of the space shuttle).

Plugging in the values, we get F = (48.9 kg)(7.95 N/kg) = 388.155 N. Therefore, the force of attraction between the student and Earth is 388.155 N. This means that Earth is pulling on the student with a force of 388.155 N, keeping them firmly on the ground.

It's important to note that this calculation assumes that the student is not moving and is at rest on the surface of the Earth. If the student were in motion, we would need to use a more complex formula that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance between the student and Earth. But for the purposes of this question, the simple F = mg formula is sufficient.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate gravitational attraction between objects. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and learning about the world around us!

1. Can someone help me with my experiment?

Of course! Many scientists are happy to collaborate or offer assistance with experiments. It's important to clearly communicate what kind of help you need and what the expectations are for involvement.

2. Can someone review my research paper?

Yes, you can ask for feedback and peer review from colleagues or experts in your field. It's important to be open to constructive criticism and make revisions based on the feedback you receive.

3. Can someone explain this scientific concept to me?

Absolutely! Science can be complex and confusing, and it's okay to ask for clarification or further explanation. You can seek out resources like textbooks, articles, or ask a colleague or mentor for help.

4. Can someone connect me with other scientists in my field?

Networking is an important part of being a scientist, and building connections with other researchers can lead to collaborations, job opportunities, and new ideas. You can attend conferences, join professional organizations, or reach out to colleagues for introductions.

5. Can someone mentor me in my scientific career?

Many scientists have benefited from having a mentor to guide them in their career development. You can seek out a mentor within your institution or through professional organizations, and ask for guidance and advice on navigating your career path.