1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone please help me? please?

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Earth's gravitational field is 7.95 N/kg at the altitude of the space shuttle.
    What is the size of the force of attraction between a student of mass 48.9 kg and Earth?

answer in units of N.

please help, i don't get how to do this!

thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

7.95 N/kg = 7.95 m/s². This is the value of g at the shuttle, a bit smaller than it is at the surface of the Earth.

The force of gravity between two masses like the Earth and the student on the space shuttle is F = GMm/d² where M is the mass of the Earth and m the mass of the student. Often it is convenient to split this formula into two parts. We say F = mg and g = GM/d². It actually turns out that there really is a g field lying between the two masses. The M causes a gravitational field g around itself and the field causes the force on m. Anyway, that's all you need to do your problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook