Can Teflon® PTFE Prevent Charge Attraction in Geothermal Piping Systems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter josh0433
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Attraction Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
josh0433
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Good day,

I'm currently studying about the effectiveness of Teflon® PTFE as a protective coating for a geothermal piping system. Part of the pipe is submerged in brine and experience corrosion and scale build-up during its past operations. I was thinking of applying the said coating to extend the life of the piping system for it to be more reliable. However, I've been having problems in verifying its effectiveness to prevent scale build-up.
I know teflons have extremely low coefficient of friction and its non-stick property helps in preventing the attachment of scales, but I've research something about "Pipe charging" by Helmholtz that indicates that scale builds-up due to the attraction of the positively charged pipe to the negatively charged carbonate ions on the brine. Can the dialectic property of Teflon® PTFE be able to prevent this kinds of attraction?
Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thank you!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe this is a chemistry problem.

Perhaps someone will move this thread to the chemistry department.
 
Welcome to PF!

Hi josh0433! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I see you've already re-posted in the Materials & Chemical Engineering forum. :wink:
Phrak said:
I believe this is a chemistry problem.

Perhaps someone will move this thread to the chemistry department.

Nooo … questions about dialectics belong in the Philosophy forum! :biggrin: …
josh0433 said:
Can the dialectic property …