Can Termites Build Honeycombs Alone in a Terrarium?

• Thread starter neginf
  • Start date
In summary, bees, termites, and polyps have the instinctive knowledge to build honeycombs, cathedrals, and other structures. These structures emerge naturally as a result of complicated interactions between the organisms and their environment. They do not actively design or plan these structures, but rather they emerge as a consequence of non-linear dynamics. Isolated organisms would not be able to build these structures without the interactions and guidance of their respective colonies or hives. This concept of emergence is important in understanding the complexity of biology on Earth.
neginf
How do bees know how to build honeycombs ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Worker bees have glands that synthesise and secrete wax, when they need to build honeycombs they eat large quantities of honey and use this to make wax. They then begin to lay it in the hexagonal patterns we see.

Thank you very much for that.
How do bees know how to make a honeycomb or polyps to make coral or other such things ?

Largely it is instinctive knowledge. Many animals such as insects, birds etc exhibit the same classic behaviours as the rest of their species even when they are separated at or before birth.

neginf said:
Thank you very much for that.
How do bees know how to make a honeycomb or polyps to make coral or other such things ?

How also do termites know how to build marvelous clay cathederals?

They and the bees and the polyps in fact do not know. The structures emerge naturally as a consequence of non-linear dynamics. Find, "Self-Organization in Biological Systems". Good book to learn about emergence in biology.

Also, would help if you know differential equations. Hey, sorry, I don't make the rules.

Thank you both for writing back.
I wonder if a bee, termite, or polyp would try to build something if they were alone.

If a bee or termite were alone in a terrarium with the materials they needed to build a honeycomb or cathedral, would they build, or try to build one ?

neginf said:
Thank you both for writing back.
I wonder if a bee, termite, or polyp would try to build something if they were alone.

neginf said:
If a bee or termite were alone in a terrarium with the materials they needed to build a honeycomb or cathedral, would they build, or try to build one ?

It really depends on not only what species you are talking about but what type of organism. A Queen bee isolated in an environment would behave different to a worker ant. I'm not aware of any specific examples but I would imagine that any worker cast would try to find their way back to the hive/colony and anything like a queen would try to set up a new hive/colony.

neginf said:

Many of the complicated structures we see in Nature are a consequence of dynamics and are not due to any active role of the participants in designing them. In the case of termites, the mound emerges as a consequence of interactions between the termites, the phermones they release, and the mud the carry into the construction site. They don't realize what they're building. That's what emergence is all about: something emerges as a consequence of complicated interactions between the parts that cannot be deduces by studying the individual parts. So no, I do not believe isolated termites could build much of anything although I'll give him credit for slapping some mud together hap-hazardly. In my opinion, emergence is one key in understanding the nature of biology on earth. Another book to try is "At Home in the Universe" by Stuart Kaufman.

Related to Can Termites Build Honeycombs Alone in a Terrarium?

1. What is the purpose of honeycombs?

Honeycombs serve as storage units for honey, pollen, and bee larvae. They also provide structural support for the beehive.

2. How are honeycombs made?

Honeycombs are made by worker bees using beeswax, which is produced from glands on their abdomen. The bees shape the wax into hexagonal cells using their mandibles and legs.

3. Why are honeycombs hexagonal in shape?

Honeycombs are hexagonal because this shape allows for the most efficient use of space. It also allows for the even distribution of weight and provides structural stability.

4. What is the role of honeycomb cells in the bee colony?

The cells of honeycombs serve as individual containers for storing honey, pollen, and bee larvae. They also help to regulate temperature and humidity within the hive.

5. How do bees know which cells to fill with honey and which to fill with pollen?

Bees have a highly organized system for storing honey and pollen in separate cells. They use pheromones and communication through dance and vibrations to direct other bees to the correct cells.