Can the Attractive Force Between a Metallic Object and a Magnet be Quantified?

It may be possible to measure the force with specialized equipment and using a formula, but it can be difficult and impractical. Overall, quantifying the attractive force between a metallic object and a magnet is possible, but challenging and not always practical.
Cluelessness
This may be a dumb question but I am so lost and would appreciate any help!

Is there a way to quantify the attractive force between a metallic object and a magnet?

With numbers not qualitatively? I was under the impression that with a metallic object everything was microscopic so itd be impractical..

but is there a way? formula or equipment?

Please help me and thank you so much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible, but in general it is tricky to do.
I don't think that "metallic object" is what you are looking for - if it is not ferromagnetic, the force is usually negligible. Many metallic objects in daily life are made out of iron, which is ferromagnetic, but most metals are not.

Related to Can the Attractive Force Between a Metallic Object and a Magnet be Quantified?

1. What is a magnetic object?

A magnetic object is any object that is able to produce a magnetic field. This means that the object has magnetic properties and can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that can attract or repel other magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the electrons within the magnet, which creates a north and south pole.

3. How can I tell if an object is magnetic?

You can tell if an object is magnetic by using a magnet to see if it is attracted to the object. If the object sticks to the magnet, it is magnetic. You can also use a compass to see if the object affects the direction of the needle.

4. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials like iron, nickel, and cobalt, and have a constant magnetic field. Temporary magnets, like paper clips, can be magnetized but lose their magnetism easily. Electromagnets are created when an electric current passes through a wire, and can be turned on or off.

5. How can magnetic objects be used in everyday life?

Magnetic objects have a variety of uses in everyday life. They are used in many electronic devices, such as speakers and hard drives. They are also used in medical equipment, like MRI machines. Magnets are also used in construction, transportation, and even for simple tasks like holding notes on a refrigerator.