1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the fullness of a cylinder of water be determined by its frequency

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have high cilinder with height h a filled with water up to the height L<h and air in the rest. We hit the cylinder and listen to the frequency of its sound. How can we determine L in function of h, the frequency of the noise, the speed of sound, ...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Maybe the sound has something to do with the harmonics on a string. Is the frequency =velocity of sound/(2*(h-L))?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't say whether it is hit above or below the water line.
    In general this could be pretty complex. The cylinder will have several modes of vibration that are affected by the water depth. There'll be a bulk vibration within the water-filled part, vibration in the air column, and vibrations in the cylindrical wall above the water (both vertically and radially). Pick one that you think will be affected.

4. Jul 25, 2013 #3
    if we made a simplification like just assmuning the vibration of the air, could qe solve it?

5. Jul 25, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but to complete the picture for that vibration we'd need to know whether the cylinder is open or closed at the top. Do you know about nodes, antinodes, standing waves in pipes...?

6. Jul 26, 2013 #5
    yes. the cylinder is closed at the top

7. Jul 26, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, so how many wavelengths can be in the air column in general?

8. Jul 26, 2013 #7
    nodes are located at the extremeties, so using my variables 2(h-L)/n But i don't know if experimentally this can be verified...

9. Jul 26, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand why you are looking for experimental verification. I thought the idea was to use theory (which could be verified by experiment if required) to come up with a procedure for judging L from the sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted