Can the homotopy extension property fail on certain pairs of spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the homotopy extension property on the pair (I, A) where I = [0,1] and A = {0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ...}. It is mentioned that this property does not hold and a possible solution is proposed involving defining a homotopy H when f(1/n) - g(1/n) converges to 0. It is also suggested that there may be two functions on A that are homotopic but do not converge to the same point.
alyscia
Can someone elaborate?

Let I = [0,1], A = {0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, \cdots}. Show that the homotopy extension property does not hold on the pair (I, A).

Thanks in advance,

A

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to specify the space you are mapping into...I will assume it is R. I'm having a little bit of trouble with this one. But, if you let f:I --> R and g:A-->R be any continuous functions such that f(1/n)-g(1/n) converges to 0 as n goes to infinity, then you can construct a homotopy H:AxI --> R and it naturally extends to a homotopy E:XxI -->R. So, you could look at what happens when f(1/n) -g(1/n) does converge to zero. I think this may be the way to solve the problem because there is a natural way of defining the homotopy H whenever this happens. For instance if f(1/n) and g(1/n) both converge to 1 as n goes to infinity. Then we can define a homotopy H = f(a)*g(t).

To me, it seems there must be two functions on A which are homotopic but do not converge to the same point. Once you have that the solution might be easy.

Related to Can the homotopy extension property fail on certain pairs of spaces?

1. What is the Homotopy Extension Property?

The Homotopy Extension Property (HEP) is a fundamental concept in algebraic topology. It states that given a continuous map between two topological spaces, if the map can be extended to a homotopy between the two spaces, then it can be extended to a homotopy between any larger spaces that contain the original two spaces as subspaces.

2. Why is the Homotopy Extension Property important?

The Homotopy Extension Property allows us to study topological spaces by looking at their subspaces, rather than the spaces themselves. This greatly simplifies the study of complicated spaces and helps to uncover important algebraic and geometric properties.

3. How is the Homotopy Extension Property used in mathematics?

The Homotopy Extension Property has numerous applications in mathematics, particularly in algebraic topology and differential geometry. It is used to prove important theorems, such as the Hurewicz theorem and the Whitehead theorem, and to study fundamental groups, homotopy groups, and higher homotopy groups.

4. What are some examples of spaces that satisfy the Homotopy Extension Property?

Some common examples of spaces that satisfy the Homotopy Extension Property include contractible spaces, simply-connected spaces, and CW complexes. These spaces have simple topological structures that make it easy to extend homotopies between subspaces.

5. Are there any known spaces that do not satisfy the Homotopy Extension Property?

Yes, there are known examples of spaces that do not satisfy the Homotopy Extension Property, such as the Hawaiian earring space. These spaces often have more complicated topological structures that make it difficult to extend homotopies between subspaces.