Can the Transactional Interpretation Shed Light on the Double-Slit Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the "Transactional Interpretation" of quantum mechanics, which is a way of rephrasing the standard interpretation as a boundary value problem instead of an initial value problem. The transactional interpretation is seen as more reasonable by some, as it maintains time symmetry. However, it may contradict some experimental evidence and requires a good understanding of quantum mechanics to fully grasp. Recommended resources for further understanding include Huw Price's "Time's Arrow and Archimedes Heel" for philosophical concepts and a university physics degree for a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.
DrMoreau
I recently heard about the "Transactional Interpretation", and comletely failed to understand it. I then looked it up on Wikipedia, and became even more confused.
My main questions are:

1. I gathered that, after receiving a retarded wave, a detector will send out an advanced wave. What is classified as a detector?

2. How do the advanced and retarded waves interact?

3. How does this all give us a better idea of what happens during the double - slit experiment?

I would be grateful for any helpful responces.

Physics news on Phys.org
The default interpretation of QM is an initial value problem (like determining the motion of planets): you assume a particular initial state, and then you have some irreversible collapse process which leads to a random final state.

The problem is that strange irreversibility, which seems out of place in physics because it *introduces* "law-like" time-asymmetry. Transactional is one way of rephrasing QM as more of a boundary value problem (like determining the shape of a membrane stretched over some wire-frame): you assume both the initial condition and the final condition, and deduce what happened in between in a deterministic time-symmetric manner.

cesiumfrog said:
The default interpretation of QM is an initial value problem (like determining the motion of planets): you assume a particular initial state, and then you have some irreversible collapse process which leads to a random final state.

The problem is that strange irreversibility, which seems out of place in physics because it *introduces* "law-like" time-asymmetry. Transactional is one way of rephrasing QM as more of a boundary value problem (like determining the shape of a membrane stretched over some wire-frame): you assume both the initial condition and the final condition, and deduce what happened in between in a deterministic time-symmetric manner.
Put in this way, the transactional interpretation seems more reasonable than the standard interpretation.

cesiumfrog said:

Thanks for the reply, cesiumfrog, but I'm not much of an expert at physics, so I didn't really understand your explanation. Are there any books or web pages you could recommend which give an easy-to-understand version of it?

lightarrow said:
Put in this way, the transactional interpretation seems more reasonable than the standard interpretation.
That's my bias coming through :wink:, time symmetry just seems preferable. In practice the "default interpretation" (irreversible collapse, as a mathematical tool for monkeys to make predictions, being careful never to interpret any of it as "real") is probably easier to calculate with. I'd actually be hesitant using/recommending *the* specific "transactional" interpretation, since the bloke who originated it seems to have come to a number of conclusions that are expected to contradict experiment.
DrMoreau said:
Are there any books or web pages you could recommend which give an easy-to-understand version of it?
For the philosophical concepts, I'd recommend Huw Price's "Time's Arrow and Archimedes Heel". If you also want to learn quantum mechanics, well, you'll basically need to do most of what is in a university physics degree.

What is Transactional Interpretation?

Transactional Interpretation is a model of quantum mechanics that was developed in the 1980s by physicist John Cramer. It seeks to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum events by proposing that each event creates a two-way "transaction" between an emitter and absorber, with the final outcome being determined by the constructive and destructive interference of these transactions.

How does Transactional Interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Unlike other interpretations, Transactional Interpretation does not require the existence of parallel universes or a collapse of the wave function. It also provides a clear explanation for the phenomenon of quantum entanglement and does not rely on the concept of "observer" or consciousness playing a role in the outcome of quantum events.

What evidence supports Transactional Interpretation?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports or disproves Transactional Interpretation. However, the model is consistent with all existing experimental data and has not been falsified by any experiments. Some physicists also argue that the concept of transactions is more intuitive and easier to understand than other interpretations of quantum mechanics.

How does Transactional Interpretation impact our understanding of reality?

Transactional Interpretation challenges our traditional understanding of causality and the concept of past, present, and future. It suggests that all events, including those in the past and future, are interconnected through these transactions. This can have significant implications for our perception of time and the nature of reality itself.

Are there any criticisms of Transactional Interpretation?

Some physicists have criticized Transactional Interpretation for being overly complex and not providing any new predictions or insights compared to other interpretations. Others argue that it is still a developing theory and needs more empirical evidence to be widely accepted. Additionally, the concept of "transactions" has been met with skepticism and some argue that it is not a physically real phenomenon.