Can there be an area with no gravity?

In summary: If you were to be placed billions of light years away from that star, you would still experience gravity because the force of gravity is directly related to the mass of an object. However, it would be so small that you would not be able to detect it.
Pjpic
Can there be an area without gravity? Are branes the only places with gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thereis nowhere in the universe where there is no gravity. There many places where the gravitational effects are so weak that we can ignore them, and when we're in a hurry we often say "no gravity" instead of "gravity so weak that we can ignore it".

I'm not sure what branes have to do with anything here.

Pjpic said:
Can there be an area without gravity? Are branes the only places with gravity?
It depends on what you mean by "gravity". People usually think of "gravity" in GR in terms of the Riemann tensor, the connection coefficients, or the metric. (Maybe more, that is what first comes to mind). You could have a region where the Riemann tensor was zero or the connection components ##\Gamma^{ij}_k## were all zero. There isn't any way I can think of to have no metric, or a zero metric, though you could have a flat metric. Test particles in any such region would move in straight lines. Sorry to be so technical, but I am not sure I understand the point of the question. Branes are not part of GR, I am not sure of how to relate them to your question.

pervect said:
It depends on what you mean by "gravity". People usually think of "gravity" in GR in terms of the Riemann tensor, the connection coefficients, or the metric. (Maybe more, that is what first comes to mind). You could have a region where the Riemann tensor was zero or the connection components ##\Gamma^{ij}_k## were all zero. There isn't any way I can think of to have no metric, or a zero metric, though you could have a flat metric. Test particles in any such region would move in straight lines. Sorry to be so technical, but I am not sure I understand the point of the question. Branes are not part of GR, I am not sure of how to relate them to your question.
Does that mean if space is not curved there is no gravity?

Pjpic said:

Not "space" but "spacetime", but with that qualification, yes.

Pjpic said:

That should be "space-time" as Nugatory points out, not space. That said, the answer again depends on what you mean by "gravity". I assume you've heard of Einstein's elevator thought experiment, where you have someone standing on the floor of an elevator that's accelerating upwards in otherwise empty space. If you call what the elevator passenger experiences "gravity" then there is "gravity" but no space-time curvature in this case. Mathematically, we would say the Christoffel symbols are non-zero. Thus if the passenger was standing on a scale, the scale would have a nonzero reading which one could call the passenger's weight. However in this case the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the curvature of space-time, is zero.

If there was only one star in the whole universe, and you were placed billions of light years away from it; there would still be gravity. It's defiantly going to be smaller than a micro amount; however, it would still pull no matter where you were in the universe. It would most likely would take billions, maybe even trillions of years to fall into the star from that distance. But with space-time expansion and such; you might not ever even fall into the star. Who knows!

William Donald said:
with space-time expansion and such; you might not ever even fall into the star.

If there were only one star in the universe, it would not be expanding; more precisely, the concept of "expansion of the universe" would not be well-defined, since it requires multiple massive objects that can move away from each other. (In the standard model used in cosmology, the matter in the universe is idealized as a continuous fluid, with the individual galaxies in the universe being like the individual "particles" of the fluid. But this model won't work either with just a single star.)

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and the moon in orbit around the Earth. Gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Can there be an area with no gravity?

No, there cannot be an area with absolutely no gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature and is present everywhere in the universe. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass and distance between objects.

3. Is there any place on Earth with zero gravity?

No, there is no place on Earth with zero gravity. Even in outer space, where astronauts experience weightlessness, there is still some level of gravity present. This is because Earth's gravity extends far beyond its surface and affects objects in orbit around it.

4. How can astronauts float in space if there is still some gravity present?

Astronauts float in space because they are in a state of free-fall. This means that they are falling towards Earth due to the force of gravity, but their horizontal velocity is fast enough to keep them in orbit around the planet. This creates the illusion of weightlessness.

5. Could there be a planet or location with significantly lower or higher gravity than Earth?

Yes, there are planets and locations with significantly lower or higher gravity than Earth. For example, the planet Jupiter has a much stronger gravitational pull than Earth, while the moon has a weaker gravity. Additionally, different regions on Earth, such as mountains or valleys, may have slightly different levels of gravity due to variations in the planet's mass distribution.