Can this circuit be solved? Please explain

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an attached image and the fact that the voltage drop across each resistor is not the same, making it difficult to apply equivalent resistance methods. The OP asks for more information and receives help from others in the forum, eventually realizing a solution. The conversation also touches on the notation used in the schematic and the importance of drawing standard schematics.
Evan T
See the attached image. This circuit seems simple enough, but the fact that the voltage drop across each of the resistors is not the same means that equivalent resistance methods cannot be applied. Is more information required?

Thanks for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Your schematic diagram and notation are non-standard. Where does the bottom of the source on the left go? What do you mean by labeling the voltages at the bottom of the resistors? You need to draw this as a standard schematic before we can be of much help. How do the paths through the resistors return to the bottom of the source?

Evan T said:
This circuit seems simple enough,
It's not a circuit until you close it.

Strange but I can't see any attachment at all.
What I do wrong boss?

Likes davenn
We're having a discussion with the OP about deleting his figure. Will update in a bit...

The OP says he has solved his question. And we have reminded him not to delete important parts of the OP (like the schematic) after he has received replies. Thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff and sophiecentaur
Upon further review, the deletion was accidental and this thread is re-opened! :smile:

Evan T said:
See the attached image. This circuit seems simple enough, but the fact that the voltage drop across each of the resistors is not the same means that equivalent resistance methods cannot be applied. Is more information required?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• circuit.PNG
    circuit.PNG
    58.8 KB · Views: 386
I originally tried deleting this post since I realized the answer was simple and deleted the circuit by accident.

The notation that I was using I was taught a few years ago and I am not sure if it is common or not, it simply indicates that the voltage at those points are given as V1 and V2 and further knowledge of the circuit beyond those points is not necessary (although, it does reconnect to ground eventually).
The solution is simple however, I know the voltage at all of the nodes so calculating the current along each of the branches is very straightforward (simple application of ohm's law)

Attachments

• circuit_sol.PNG
    circuit_sol.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 424
Evan T said:
The notation that I was using I was taught a few years ago and I am not sure if it is common or not, it simply indicates that the voltage at those points are given as V1 and V2 and further knowledge of the circuit beyond those points is not necessary (although, it does reconnect to ground eventually).

That's a fine shortcut provided everybody has agreed to it beforehand and everybody agrees on what point is zero volt reference.

You see why we were confused - we weren't party to those prior agreements.

Cheers -

Thanks for reposting, @Evan T :smile:

To make it a bit closer to standard, you could show a "ground" symbol at the bottom of the voltage source, and face the resistors sideways or pointing up, with the voltages at the far nodes labeled as you have (or with round small circles instead of arrows). But now that you've explained it, it's probably okay as-is. As you learn more about electronics, you'll get used to writing more standard schematics... o_O

http://www.co-bw.com/Images_DIY/am1.gif
am1.gif

1. Can this circuit be solved?

It depends on the complexity of the circuit and the available resources. Some circuits may be easily solvable, while others may require more advanced techniques or specialized equipment.

2. What factors determine if a circuit can be solved?

The factors that determine if a circuit can be solved include the complexity of the circuit, the availability of appropriate tools and techniques, and the expertise of the person attempting to solve it.

3. How do you approach solving a circuit?

The first step is to analyze the components and connections of the circuit. Then, use mathematical principles and techniques, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, to determine the behavior of the circuit. Finally, use trial and error or simulation software to test and refine the solution.

4. Are there any circuits that cannot be solved?

There are some circuits that are theoretically impossible to solve, such as those with infinite resistance or infinite current. However, most practical circuits can be solved with the appropriate tools and techniques.

5. What should I do if I am unable to solve a circuit?

If you are unable to solve a circuit, you may need to seek assistance from a more experienced individual or consult additional resources such as textbooks or online forums. It is also important to double-check your calculations and approach, as even small errors can lead to incorrect solutions.