Can this integral be done using elementary techniques?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of trigonometric substitutions to solve the integral of 1/(x^2+a^2)^3/2. The suggested substitutions are x=asinh(theta) and x=atan(theta), which simplify the integrand to (cos(theta))/a^2. The conversation also mentions the use of a right triangle and trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

## \displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{(x^{2}+a^{2})^{3/2}} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A substitution does not seem to work. I know that a closed form solution exists however, just curious if it can be done by the standard techniques usually taught in calculus. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
The substitution [itex] x=asinh\theta [/itex] seems to work.

Edit: [itex] x=atan\theta [/itex] also works if you don't mind integrating the secant function.

Last edited:
HS-Scientist said:
Edit: [itex] x=atan\theta [/itex] also works if you don't mind integrating the secant function.

Actually, you need to integrate cosine after that substitution. It may be the easiest way.

Goa'uld said:
Actually, the integrand simplifies to (cosθ)/a^2 after that substitution. It may be the easiest way.

You are right of course. Somehow I turned [itex] \frac{1}{sec\theta} [/itex] into [itex] \frac{1}{cos\theta} [/itex]

The presence of x2 + a2 in the denominator makes this integral a candidate for trig substitution. Same goes for the difference of squares, either x2 - a2 or a2 - x2.

What I do in these situations is draw a right triangle, and label the sides and hypotenuse according to whether I'm dealing with a sum of squares or a difference. If it's a sum of squares, as in this problem, I label the vertical side as x and the horizontal side as a. This means that the hypotenuse is √(x2 + a2). If θ is the angle across from x, then tanθ = x/a, so sec2θdθ = dx/a, or dx = asec2θdθ. After this, replace x and dx in the integral with θ and dθ and integrate.

A similar analysis can be done for either of the two differences of squares.

1. Can all integrals be solved using elementary techniques?

No, not all integrals can be solved using elementary techniques. There are certain integrals that require more advanced methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or use of special functions.

2. What are some examples of integrals that cannot be solved using elementary techniques?

Some examples include integrals involving trigonometric or exponential functions, and integrals with no closed form solution.

3. How do I know if an integral can be solved using elementary techniques?

There are no definite rules, but some signs that an integral may require more advanced methods include the presence of special functions, complicated expressions, or nested functions.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral using elementary techniques?

Yes, most calculators have built-in functions to solve integrals using elementary techniques. However, it is important to understand the steps and techniques used to solve the integral rather than relying solely on a calculator.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals using elementary techniques?

Some tips include looking for patterns, using substitution to simplify the integral, and using trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common integration techniques.