Can this problem be solved without energy considerations?

• Thread starter Eitan Levy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: What I am asking is how you know that the velocity stays the same after it hits the surface.Two reasons. 1) That's a property of angle of incidence = angle of reflection. 2) If you assume variable ##V## after the bounce, then the problem can't be solved! ##L## would depend on a thing called the coefficient of...
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-17_18-39-52.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote equations for the vertical and horizonal distances, but I still wasn't able to find L (was missing an equation).
Is it possible?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-17_18-39-52.png
    upload_2017-12-17_18-39-52.png
    14 KB · Views: 1,258
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 216959

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote equations for the vertical and horizonal distances, but I still wasn't able to find L (was missing an equation).
Is it possible?

You need to show us how far you got.

As I see it, given the information, the ball can only land in one position, so it must be possible to solve the problem.

PS I think you are supposed to assume energy conservation from the angle of incidence being equal to angle of reflection.

You'll need to provide the details of your work.

It's certainly possible to use kinematic equations to find the result. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, hence the constant acceleration kinematic formulae all apply (SUVAT).Edit: Ah! @PeroK got there ahead of me!

PeroK said:

As I see it, given the information, the ball can only land in one position, so it must be possible to solve the problem.

PS I think you are supposed to assume energy conservation from the angle of incidence being equal to angle of reflection.
gneill said:
You'll need to provide the details of your work.

It's certainly possible to use kinematic equations to find the result. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value, hence the constant acceleration kinematic formulae all apply (SUVAT).Edit: Ah! @PeroK got there ahead of me!

First we can know this:
upload_2017-12-17_19-3-41.png

Now let's say that the ball leaves the surface with a velocity equals to V.
We can say that:
Lcos(30)=Vcos(30)t
-Lsin(30)=Vsin(30)t-5t2.
We see at the end that V=5t, and that L=0.2V2.
We also know that the ball hits the surface with a velocity of √(20), all vertical.
Now I am stuck.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-17_19-3-41.png
    upload_2017-12-17_19-3-41.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 847
PeroK said:

We solved this problem in class before we studied energy, so my teacher either used it to introduce the topic to us or solved it without it.

Eitan Levy said:
We can say that:
Lcos(30)=Vcos(30)t
-Lsin(30)=Vsin(30)t-5t2.
We also know that the ball hits the surface with a velocity of √(20), all vertical.
Now I am stuck.
You can use the first equation to find an expression for ##t##. You can substitute that along with the known values for sin(30), cos(30), and V into the second equation to yield an equation with only one unknown, ##L##.

gneill said:
You can use the first equation to find an expression for ##t##. You can substitute that along with the known values for sin(30), cos(30), and V into the second equation to yield an equation with only one unknown, ##L##.
Didn't you use energy considerations if you assumed that the velocity stays the same after the ball hits the surface?

Eitan Levy said:
First we can know this:
View attachment 216960
We can say that:
Lcos(30)=Vcos(30)t
-Lsin(30)=Vsin(30)t-5t2.
Now I am stuck.

I think you've almost got it. You have:

##L = 0.2 V^2##

I assume that is with ##g =10m/s^2##.

And, you have got ##V = \sqrt{20} m/s##

So, that's it isn't it? It bounces off the triangle with the same speed ##V## as it hit it. Just in a different direction.

PeroK said:
I think you've almost got it. You have:

##L = 0.2 V^2##

I assume that is with ##g =10m/s^2##.

And, you have got ##V = \sqrt{20} m/s##

So, that's it isn't it? It bounces off the triangle with the same speed ##V## as it hit it. Just in a different direction.

What I am asking is how you know that the velocity stays the same after it hits the surface.

Eitan Levy said:
What I am asking is how you know that the velocity stays the same after it hits the surface.

Two reasons. 1) That's a property of angle of incidence = angle of reflection. 2) If you assume variable ##V## after the bounce, then the problem can't be solved! ##L## would depend on a thing called the coefficient of restitution.

PeroK said:
Two reasons. 1) That's a property of angle of incidence = angle of reflection. 2) If you assume variable ##V## after the bounce, then the problem can't be solved! ##L## would depend on a thing called the coefficient of restitution.
Alright, thanks a lot.

Eitan Levy said:
Didn't you use energy considerations if you assumed that the velocity stays the same after the ball hits the surface?
In a way, yes: I made the practical assumption of it being a perfectly elastic collision. There was nothing in the problem statement that would suggest otherwise. See also @PeroK 's response.

Eitan Levy said:
To expand a little on @PeroK's reply...
Consider the impact velocity in components normal and parallel to the slope. The impact creates an impulse on the ball normal to the slope, so does not affect the velocity parallel to it. Since the angles are equal, the ratio of the magnitudes of the velocity components remains the same, so the velocity normal to the plane must stay the same magnitude but swap sign.

(The impulse is normal to the slope because the "normal force" is that force of minimum magnitude necessary to prevent interpenetration of the surfaces.)

1. Can we solve a problem without considering energy?

This depends on the specific problem at hand. In some cases, it may be possible to find a solution without taking energy into account. However, in many cases, energy considerations are essential for understanding and solving the problem.

2. What types of problems can be solved without energy considerations?

Problems that do not involve physical systems or phenomena, such as mathematical or conceptual problems, may not require energy considerations. However, for problems involving physical systems, energy is often a key factor in finding a solution.

3. How important is it to consider energy when solving a problem?

In many cases, it is crucial to consider energy when solving a problem. Energy is a fundamental concept in science and plays a significant role in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

4. Are there any alternative methods for solving problems without using energy considerations?

There may be alternative methods for solving certain problems without explicitly using energy considerations. However, these methods may still indirectly involve energy concepts or rely on similar principles.

5. How can energy considerations help in solving a problem?

Considering energy can provide valuable insights into a problem and help determine the most efficient or effective solution. It can also help identify any limitations or constraints that may affect the solution.