Can Traditional Collision Problems Be Solved Using Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, you can use the same conservation of energy and momentum techniques to solve for the out-going momentums in electron-electron scattering.
jfy4
Hi,

I am wondering if all the old collisions problems from beginning physics can still be applied and solved for using quantum mechanics. For example. In mechanics we used conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in elastic collisions to solve for out-going momentums of pool balls. Can the same techniques be used for say, electron-electron scattering (non-relativistic)?

Say I have two particles, thing one and thing two. Can I use this system of equations to solve for the out-going momentums

[tex]\frac{\partial \psi(x_1)}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial\psi(x_2)}{\partial x_2}=\frac{\partial\psi'(x_1)}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial\psi'(x_2)}{\partial x_2}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2\psi(x_1)}{\partial x_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2\psi(x_2)}{\partial x_2^2}=\frac{\partial^2\psi'(x_1)}{\partial x_1^2}+\frac{\partial^2\psi'(x_2)}{\partial x_2^2}.[/tex]

Which I think are the 1D analogues for elastic collisions between pool balls. I would need to specify directions and signs too. But say I know the in-coming momentums, can I use these to solve for the out-going momentums?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy and momentum still hold, but you can't use separate wavefunctions for the two incoming particles, ψ(x1), ψ(x2), not to mention separate wavefunctions ψ'(x1), ψ'(x2) for particles after the collision. It's all one two-particle wavefunction ψ(x1, x2).

Bill_K said:
Conservation of energy and momentum still hold, but you can't use separate wavefunctions for the two incoming particles, ψ(x1), ψ(x2), not to mention separate wavefunctions ψ'(x1), ψ'(x2) for particles after the collision. It's all one two-particle wavefunction ψ(x1, x2).

Should I have two, two particle wave functions? One for before, and one after?

Would it be something like this:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}\right)\psi(x_1,x_2)=\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}\right)\psi'(x_1,x_2)[/tex]

along with a similar equation for the [kinetic] energy?

Last edited:
You do it with a 2-dimensional Schrodinger equation that has an interaction term in it. Something like the following:

[tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi(x_1, x_2, t) = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_1^2}\Psi(x_1, x_2, t) + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_2^2}\Psi(x_1, x_2, t) - C |x_1 - x_2|[/tex]

where the first two terms on the right are the normal kinetic energy terms for the individual particles, and the third term is the potential energy contributed by the electromagnetic force between them. I don't have all the constants right in there (C is probably Coulomb's constant with some kind of coefficient), but it's something basically like that. The key is that you have a single Schrodinger equation that encompasses the whole system, with separate kinetic energy terms that are only dependent on a single variable each, so that each particle has its own kinetic energy. Then you include a term that has both variables in it, to express the interaction between them.

That should have said kinetic energy... I'll change it.

Related to Can Traditional Collision Problems Be Solved Using Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a quantum collision?

A quantum collision is a physical event that occurs between two or more quantum particles. These particles can be atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles, and the collision involves an exchange of energy and momentum.

2. How do scientists solve quantum collisions?

Scientists use a variety of mathematical and computational techniques to solve quantum collisions. These include solving the Schrödinger equation, using perturbation theory, and performing numerical simulations.

3. Why is solving quantum collisions important?

Understanding quantum collisions is crucial for many applications, such as designing new materials, developing more efficient chemical reactions, and studying the behavior of atoms and molecules in extreme conditions.

4. What challenges do scientists face when solving quantum collisions?

One of the main challenges in solving quantum collisions is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. Additionally, the quantum nature of particles means that traditional methods used in classical physics may not apply.

5. What are some current developments in solving quantum collisions?

Recent developments in quantum computing have opened up new possibilities for solving complex quantum collisions. Additionally, advancements in experimental techniques, such as using ultracold atoms, have allowed scientists to study quantum collisions in greater detail.