Can We Truly Read 25,000 Words Per Minute with Photo Reading?

• Thread starter ujjwal3097
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photo reading and its claim to be able to read 25000 words per minute. There are doubts about its validity and it is mentioned that there are people with natural or trained abilities to read faster, but 25,000 words per minute seems exaggerated. The conversation also touches upon the idea of full retention while speed reading and the possibility of reading 56 pages in one minute. The reference to Woody Allen's quote about speed reading "War and Peace" is also mentioned.
ujjwal3097
I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .

Physics news on Phys.org
In immortal words of Woody Allen: "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

Likes Vanadium 50
ujjwal3097 said:
I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .
Yes I can. But don't ask me what I just read means after that.

There have been experiments done that fed gibberish to speed readers and they read it as though it meant something. There ARE people who either have a natural ability or have trained themselves to read much faster than average (WITH full retention) but 25,000 words per minute is just ludicrous.

ujjwal3097 said:
Assuming that the page is single-spaced, in Arial 12 point font, there are about 450 words on a page. That works out to about 56 pages.

Does it seem reasonable to be able to read 56 pages in one minute?
Like @Borek said about Woody Allen's quote on speed-reading "War and Peace" - "It's about Russia."

I'm surprised that Allen got that much out of the book.

I don't know, this is clearly done at a subconscious level. I have heard of legal assistants at major law firms who can (allegedly) do that, or something close.

1. Can we really read faster than 300 words per minute?

The average adult reads at a rate of 200-250 words per minute. However, with practice and proper techniques, it is possible to increase reading speed to 300 words per minute and even higher.

2. Is speed reading just skimming or scanning?

No, speed reading is not the same as skimming or scanning. Skimming involves quickly glancing over text to get a general idea of the content, while scanning involves looking for specific information. Speed reading involves actively engaging with the text and comprehending the information at a faster rate.

3. Will speed reading decrease comprehension?

No, speed reading techniques are designed to increase reading efficiency while maintaining or even improving comprehension. With practice, readers can train their brain to process information faster without sacrificing understanding.

4. Can anyone learn to speed read?

Yes, anyone can learn to speed read with proper training and practice. While some people may naturally have a faster reading speed, speed reading techniques can be learned and applied by anyone to increase reading speed and efficiency.

5. Is speed reading a useful skill in today's digital age?

Yes, speed reading can be a useful skill in today's digital age where there is an abundance of information to consume. With faster reading speed, individuals can save time and process information more efficiently, making it a valuable skill in both personal and professional settings.