Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we really read that fast?

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    I recently came across an article describing a technique know as photo reading .I was wondering if it is really possible to read 25000 words per minute .Is it real or just hoax .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In immortal words of Woody Allen: "I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3
    Yes I can. But don't ask me what I just read means after that.

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There have been experiments done that fed gibberish to speed readers and they read it as though it meant something. There ARE people who either have a natural ability or have trained themselves to read much faster than average (WITH full retention) but 25,000 words per minute is just ludicrous.

6. Nov 13, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that the page is single-spaced, in Arial 12 point font, there are about 450 words on a page. That works out to about 56 pages.

Does it seem reasonable to be able to read 56 pages in one minute?
    Like @Borek said about Woody Allen's quote on speed-reading "War and Peace" - "It's about Russia."

I'm surprised that Allen got that much out of the book.

7. Nov 13, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, this is clearly done at a subconscious level. I have heard of legal assistants at major law firms who can (allegedly) do that, or something close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook