1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we use differentiation in Real analysis?

1. Jul 12, 2013 #1
    I'm a beginner to Real Analysis, My problem is, Can we use differentiation when we have to find Suprimum or Infimum for a given set?

A = {(x)^(1/x) | x in N}
    I got Sup(A) = e^(1/e) by using differentiation. is it a correct way to find Sup(A)?
    or is there any other way to find Sup(A) ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

x is restricted to the natural numbers. You cannot differentiate functions on natural numbers, and e is certainly not a natural number.

You can use the extension of the set to the real numbers (and the derivative there) to show things like ##x^{1/x} > (x+1)^{1/(x+1)}## for x>e.

4. Jul 12, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If x= 1, [itex]x^{1/x}= 1^1= 1[/itex].
    If x= 2, [itex]x^{1/x}= 2^{1/2}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] or about 1.414
    If x= 3, [itex]x^{1/x}= 3^{1/3}= \sqrt[3]{3}[/itex] or about 1.442
    If x= 4, [itex]x^{1/x}= 4^{1/4}= \sqrt[4]{4}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] or about 1.414
    If x= 5, [itex]x^{1/x}= 5^{1/5}= \sqrt[4]{5}[/itex] or about 1.380
    If x= 6, [itex]x^{1/x}= 6^{1/6}= \sqrt[6]{6}[/itex] or about 1.348

Do you see what is happening? What do you think is the maximum of this set? Do you see that because "x in N" the "supremum" is the same as the "maximum"? The infimum will be harder!

5. Jul 12, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

One can use differentiation to check, where the function has an extremum, and then it's easy to check where it takes a maximum for natural numbers.

I'd also take the logarithm before, i.e., setting [itex]f(x)=x^{1/x}[/itex], I'd investigate
    [tex]g(x)=\ln[f(x)]=\frac{\ln x}{x}.[/tex]

6. Jul 12, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The strategy does not always work. I think what you are suggesting is that you should find the real-valued maximum and use that. It will not give the sup if the maximizing x is not an integer. Perhaps you think that you can look at the integers immediately above and below the real maximum, to find the integer maximum. Often this works (and it *does* work in this case), but IT CAN FAIL: it is perfectly possible to devise examples where, eg., the real maximum is at x = 2.5 but the integer maximum is at x = 50.

7. Jul 12, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This I don't understand. Can you really give such an example?

8. Jul 12, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

See

attachment.php?attachmentid=60237&stc=1&d=1373659840.png

Attached Files:

9. Jul 12, 2013 #8
    Now it's clear that use of differentiation to find Sup(A) or Inf(A) isn't a proper way, then what are the proper steps of finding Sup(A) and Inf(A) rather than assuming natural numbers to x ?

10. Jul 12, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In this case, the strategy proposed by mfb works best. That is, you notice (or prove) that the sequence ##n^{1/n}## is a decreasing sequence from a certain point onwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted