Can we use differentiation in Real analysis?

In summary: This is usually done by showing that for all x in the sequence, there is a y such that x+y<=n. This y is called the "positive finite difference" of x from n, and is sometimes denoted by the symbol dx/dy. In summary, you can find the maximum and infimum of a set by using real-valued differentiation.
phydis
I'm a beginner to Real Analysis, My problem is, Can we use differentiation when we have to find Suprimum or Infimum for a given set?

A = {(x)^(1/x) | x in N}
I got Sup(A) = e^(1/e) by using differentiation. is it a correct way to find Sup(A)?
or is there any other way to find Sup(A) ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
x is restricted to the natural numbers. You cannot differentiate functions on natural numbers, and e is certainly not a natural number.

You can use the extension of the set to the real numbers (and the derivative there) to show things like ##x^{1/x} > (x+1)^{1/(x+1)}## for x>e.

Likes 1 person
phydis said:
I'm a beginner to Real Analysis, My problem is, Can we use differentiation when we have to find Suprimum or Infimum for a given set?

A = {(x)^(1/x) | x in N}
If x= 1, [itex]x^{1/x}= 1^1= 1[/itex].
If x= 2, [itex]x^{1/x}= 2^{1/2}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] or about 1.414
If x= 3, [itex]x^{1/x}= 3^{1/3}= \sqrt[3]{3}[/itex] or about 1.442
If x= 4, [itex]x^{1/x}= 4^{1/4}= \sqrt[4]{4}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] or about 1.414
If x= 5, [itex]x^{1/x}= 5^{1/5}= \sqrt[4]{5}[/itex] or about 1.380
If x= 6, [itex]x^{1/x}= 6^{1/6}= \sqrt[6]{6}[/itex] or about 1.348

Do you see what is happening? What do you think is the maximum of this set? Do you see that because "x in N" the "supremum" is the same as the "maximum"? The infimum will be harder!

I got Sup(A) = e^(1/e) by using differentiation. is it a correct way to find Sup(A)?

Thanks.

Likes 1 person
One can use differentiation to check, where the function has an extremum, and then it's easy to check where it takes a maximum for natural numbers.

I'd also take the logarithm before, i.e., setting [itex]f(x)=x^{1/x}[/itex], I'd investigate
[tex]g(x)=\ln[f(x)]=\frac{\ln x}{x}.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
phydis said:

A = {(x)^(1/x) | x in N}

Thanks.

The strategy does not always work. I think what you are suggesting is that you should find the real-valued maximum and use that. It will not give the sup if the maximizing x is not an integer. Perhaps you think that you can look at the integers immediately above and below the real maximum, to find the integer maximum. Often this works (and it *does* work in this case), but IT CAN FAIL: it is perfectly possible to devise examples where, eg., the real maximum is at x = 2.5 but the integer maximum is at x = 50.

Likes 1 person
This I don't understand. Can you really give such an example?

vanhees71 said:
This I don't understand. Can you really give such an example?

See

attachment.php?attachmentid=60237&stc=1&d=1373659840.png

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 402
Now it's clear that use of differentiation to find Sup(A) or Inf(A) isn't a proper way, then what are the proper steps of finding Sup(A) and Inf(A) rather than assuming natural numbers to x ?

phydis said:
Now it's clear that use of differentiation to find Sup(A) or Inf(A) isn't a proper way, then what are the proper steps of finding Sup(A) and Inf(A) rather than assuming natural numbers to x ?

In this case, the strategy proposed by mfb works best. That is, you notice (or prove) that the sequence ##n^{1/n}## is a decreasing sequence from a certain point onwards.

1. What is differentiation in Real analysis?

Differentiation in Real analysis is a mathematical operation that measures how a function changes over a small interval. It is used to find the rate of change or slope of a curve at a particular point.

2. Why is differentiation important in Real analysis?

Differentiation is important in Real analysis because it allows us to study the behavior of functions and solve problems in calculus, physics, economics, and other fields. It also helps us to understand the rate of change of a function and its maximum and minimum values.

3. How is differentiation used in Real analysis?

In Real analysis, differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function, which represents the slope of the tangent line to the function's curve at a specific point. It is also used to find critical points, which are points where the derivative is equal to zero, and can help determine the concavity and inflection points of a function.

4. Are there different types of differentiation in Real analysis?

Yes, there are different types of differentiation in Real analysis, such as the derivative of a single variable function, partial derivatives of multivariable functions, and directional derivatives in vector calculus. Each type has its own set of rules and formulas.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiation in Real analysis?

Differentiation is used in various real-world applications, including optimization problems in business and economics, motion and velocity calculations in physics, and risk management in finance. It is also used in engineering to analyze and design systems, and in data analysis to model and predict trends.