Can you combine two accelerations together?

• Thread starter Zynoakib
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise on projectile motion where the question asks for the maximum altitude reached by an accelerating rocket. The individual initially subtracts the vertical acceleration from the gravitational acceleration, but is then told that this is incorrect and should instead use the given vertical acceleration in their calculations. The reason for this is not clear, but it is suggested that gravity may have already been accounted for.
Zynoakib
When I was doing an exercise on projectile motion, there was a question that asked something like the max. altitude reached by an accelerating rocket. After some calculations, I got 23.96ms-2 as the vertical acceleration, then I minus it with 9.8ms-2 (gravitational acceleration as the two accelerations, I thought, should work against each other). Turns out, this is wrong and I should calculate the rest with 23.96ms-2 as the vertical acceleration. So my question is, why am I not supposed to minus 23.96 with 9.8? Because you can combine tangential acceleration and radial acceleration together to give a "resultant acceleration", but why is it not my case?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll have to post the original question to get a clear reply. All that comes to mind is that gravity had already, in some way, been accounted for.

Question 65
20150717_205325.jpg

As Puma suggested, the acceleration given in the problem is the actual acceleration of the rocket, not the thrust of the engine.

Thank you guys!

FAQ: Can you combine two accelerations together?

1. Can you add two accelerations together?

Yes, it is possible to add two accelerations together as long as they are in the same direction and have the same units. This is known as vector addition.

2. How do you combine two accelerations in different directions?

If the accelerations are in different directions, you first need to break them down into their respective components. Then, you can use vector addition to combine the components in the x and y directions separately.

3. Is it possible to subtract two accelerations?

Yes, it is possible to subtract two accelerations if they are in opposite directions. This is known as vector subtraction.

4. What is the result of combining two accelerations in the same direction?

When two accelerations are combined in the same direction, the resulting acceleration will be the sum of the two original accelerations.

5. Can you combine accelerations that have different units?

No, accelerations with different units cannot be combined. They must be converted to the same units before they can be added or subtracted.

Back