Can You Design a Diode Circuit to Turn On at 5V and Off at 15V?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sadf
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given an input range of voltages (for example, 5-15V), design a circuit using resistors and diodes (and voltage sources) to turn on at input = 5V and turn off at input = 15V. (I chose 5 and 15 arbitrarily).

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I am able to get it to turn on at 5V (I would just put about 7 of the standard 0.7V threshold diodes in series), but my understanding is that the current will skyrocket at 5V and then plateau at a voltage slightly higher than 5. I don't know how to get it to continue rising until 15V and then stop there...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, sadf!

I thought I had an idea, then realized it was wrong.
I now think it is impossible to do this without a transistor.
 
Last edited: