Can you do integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without reduction formula?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
aselin0331
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Can you do integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without reduction formula?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



If so, would it be integration by parts? I tried splitting it up in way too many ways to post them on here.

Thanks for any hints!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aselin0331 said:

Homework Statement



Can you do integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without reduction formula?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



If so, would it be integration by parts? I tried splitting it up in way too many ways to post them on here.

Thanks for any hints!
First, get everything in terms of sec(x).
[tex]\int sec^5(x)tan^2(x)dx = \int sec^7(x) - sec^5(x)dx = \int sec^7(x)dx - \int sec^5(x)dx[/tex]

Use integration by parts on both integrals on the right. For the first u = sec5(x) and dv = sec2(x) dx. For the second integral, u = sec3(x) and dv = sec2(x) dx.

I haven't taken this all the way through, but I'm reasonably sure it will work. You will probably need to solve for your integral algebraically.
 
You're fantastic! I was staring at Sec^7 and sec^5 for a while and that just clicked in!

Thanks