Calculating Percent Uncertainty of Resistance at 25°C with 95% Confidence Level

• Thread starter shaklove
  • Start date
In summary, you need to use the given formula for R to calculate the resistance at a temperature of 25*C, then use the formula for Wx to calculate the uncertainty in R0, then plug these values into the formula for R to get the uncertainty in R, and finally calculate the percent uncertainty by dividing the uncertainty in R by the value of R at 25*C. I hope this helps! Good luck with your homework.
shaklove
can you guys help me pleasee

Homework Statement

The relationship between resistance with temperature is expressed by the equation of R= R0[1+ α(T-T0)], where Ro is the resistance at the reference temp. T0 and α for the resistor material has been determined to be 0.0048 ± 0.1% oC. In the range 0 to 100* C, in which we are calibrating this resistor, temperature measurements have shown a standard deviation of 0.1* C. The systematic uncertainty of the temperature- measurement device is known to be 0.1* C.
At 0* C, the resistance is 100.00 Ω. compute the percent uncertainty of R, at a temperature of 25* C with a 95% confidence level

Homework Equations

Wx = (Bx^2 + Px^2)^ 1/5

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the confidence level is = 1 - a (alpha)
0.95 = 1 - a >>>>>>> a = 1 - 0.95 = 0.05
a/2 = 0.025
i know that i can use this formula Px = tSx
Should i assume that "t" is 2 , then i say Px = 2 * (0.1) = 0.2
am not sure of am right !

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your question. It seems like you are on the right track in terms of calculating the confidence level and the standard uncertainty of the temperature measurement. However, I would like to clarify a few things:

1. The formula you have provided, Wx = (Bx^2 + Px^2)^1/5, seems to be for calculating the combined standard uncertainty, Wx, of a measurement with two components, Bx and Px. In this case, Bx represents the systematic uncertainty and Px represents the random uncertainty. However, in your problem, you only have one source of uncertainty, which is the random uncertainty of the temperature measurement. Therefore, you do not need to use this formula.

2. The value of "t" that you mentioned is the critical value for a t-distribution with a certain degrees of freedom. In this problem, you have a sample size of 1 (since you are only measuring one temperature) and you are trying to calculate the uncertainty at a 95% confidence level. Therefore, the critical value for a t-distribution with 1 degree of freedom and a confidence level of 95% is approximately 12.71. This value can be found in a t-table or by using a calculator. So, instead of assuming "t" is 2, you should use the correct critical value of 12.71.

3. The formula you need to use to calculate the uncertainty of R is R = R0[1+α(T-T0)]. This formula takes into account the uncertainty in both R0 and the temperature measurement. So, you will need to calculate the uncertainty in R0 first using the formula Wx = (Bx^2 + Px^2)^1/2, where Bx is the systematic uncertainty of R0 (which is 0.1% of R0) and Px is the random uncertainty of the temperature measurement (which is 0.1*C). Then, you can plug in this value of Wx into the formula for R to get the uncertainty in R.

4. Lastly, to calculate the percent uncertainty, you will need to divide the uncertainty in R by the value of R at a temperature of 25*C (which you can calculate using the given formula for R). Then, multiply this value by 100 to get the percent uncertainty.

I hope this helps to clarify the steps you need to take

Related to Calculating Percent Uncertainty of Resistance at 25°C with 95% Confidence Level

What is the process for getting help from you guys?

The process for getting help from us may vary depending on what kind of assistance you need. If you are a student looking for tutoring or homework help, you can reach out to us through our website or by calling our hotline. If you are a researcher looking for collaboration or expertise, you can email us with your inquiry and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

What kind of help can you guys offer?

We offer a wide range of help in various fields of science, including biology, chemistry, physics, and more. Our team of experts can assist with understanding concepts, completing assignments or projects, and providing guidance for research. We also offer resources such as study guides and practice problems to aid in your learning process.

Is your help available for free?

Unfortunately, our services are not free. As a team of dedicated scientists, we need to cover our expenses and time spent on providing assistance. However, we strive to keep our prices reasonable and offer discounts for students and those in need. We also have a variety of resources available on our website that are free to access.

How quickly can you provide help?

The speed at which we can provide help depends on a few factors. If you are a student looking for immediate assistance, we may have tutors available to help you right away. For more complex requests, such as research collaborations, it may take some time for us to review your inquiry and determine the best course of action. We strive to work efficiently while also providing quality assistance.

Can you guys help with any science topic?

We have a diverse team of scientists with expertise in various fields, so we can assist with a wide range of science topics. However, there may be some topics that are outside of our scope of knowledge or expertise. In these cases, we will do our best to refer you to other resources or experts who may be able to help you further.