Can you help me to finish up this question?

• Thread starter omega16
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks if every element in Q[sqrt(2)] has a square root in Q[sqrt(2)]. The answer is false, as shown by the counterexample of -1. This is because not all values of a and b will work, and since every number in Q[sqrt(2)] can be written uniquely as "x + ysqrt(2)" for rational x and y, this means that not all elements have a square root in Q[sqrt(2)].
omega16
Consider Q[sqrt(2)].
Does every element of Q[sqrt(2)] have a square root in Q[sqrt(2)] ?
Prove if true, and give a counterexample if false.My solution:
sqrt(sqrt(2)) = a + bsqrt(2)

if I square both sides then I will have :

sqrt(2) = (a + b*sqrt(2))^2
= a^2 + 2ab*sqrt(2) + 2b^2

=======================
I think the answer should be false. Am I right?

If I am right. Can you suggest me a counterexample. Thank you very much.

If I am wrong. Please correct me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you're almost done. You need to show no such a and b will work.

How about -1?

Last edited:
sqrt(2) = a^2 + 2ab*sqrt(2) + 2b^2
= (a^2+ b^2)+ 2ab sqrt(2),
Since every number in Q(sqrt(2)) can be written uniquely as "x+ ysqrt(2)" for rational x, y, what does that tell you about a and b?

Thank you very much for your opinion. I have solved this question.

1. Can you provide me with guidance on how to complete this question?

Yes, I can provide you with guidance and support to help you finish up this question. Let me know what specific areas you need help with and I can offer my expertise.

2. Do you have any resources or materials that can assist me in finishing this question?

As a scientist, I have access to various resources and materials that may be helpful in completing your question. Let me know what you need and I will do my best to provide you with relevant information.

3. Can you review my work and provide me with feedback to help me finish this question?

I would be happy to review your work and offer constructive feedback to help you finish this question. Please send me your work and any specific areas you would like me to focus on.

4. Are there any tips or strategies you can share to help me finish this question more efficiently?

Absolutely! As a scientist, I have developed various tips and strategies for completing tasks efficiently. I would be glad to share them with you to help you finish this question more efficiently and effectively.

5. Can you help me brainstorm ideas to complete this question?

Sure, I am always open to brainstorming and collaborating with others. Let's discuss your question and see if we can come up with some creative ideas together to help you finish it.